➵prologue

"She is free in her wildness, she is a wanderess, a drop of free water. She knows nothing of borders and cares nothing for rules or customs. 'Time' for her isn't something to fight against. Her life flows clean, with passion, like fresh water."

- Roman Payne

Evelyn's POV

    I was never one to believe in God. Never one to believe in fate, destiny, however you please. I just never thought too much of any of it; seemed like a bunch of hogwash to me. If you had asked me a year ago what I thought my "fate" was or what I was "destined" to do, I would've laughed in your face, told you that the only thing I would amount to in my long, miserable life is that I would have sailed the seas alone my entire life until the day came that I could no longer stand.

    And sailing the seas for eternity isn't such a bad idea if it weren't for the fact that I had no one to sail them with. I'm not just talking about love, here. There's another thing: I didn't believe in soul mates either. Call me cynical, if you like. I never felt the need of ever depending on anybody before...for anything. So love never quite appealed to me. I just wished that I could sail the seas with people, with anyone but I never had anyone in this huge world to rely on and befriend.

    Most of my life has been spent alone and I wish it could've been different but at the same time, I'm glad that I never felt like I had to depend on anyone for my safety or for my happiness. All I ever needed to protect was me, myself and I.

    Now, you may have noticed that everything I just talked about was in past tense. Everything I just said was completely relevant and true...up until a year ago when my entire life turned upside down at the hands of one drunken, smirkin' man.