Chapter One: To See

Hope you enjoyed the prologue. If you've read certain books you'll know of Dovewing's past love life, so I made the outcome that she gets with Bumblestripe. Anyway, this chapter will help you gain a understanding of the main characters...

Chapter One:

"Come on kits! Come and get some fresh air." Moonkit cautiously pushed her way out of the warm nursery. Sunlight shone menacingly down, almost blinding her. Her littermates bounced out with much more enthusiasm, mewing excitedly.

"Is Bramblestar really as strong as a lion?" mewed Blizzardkit wide-eyed.

"Of course not sweety, but he is courageous and should be treated with respect." her mother said solemnly. The little kit took no notice.

"Sunkit! You lied to me!" she cried, pouncing on her brother's tail.

"Hey!" the two kits engaged in a play-fight. Moonkit purred with delight.

Silverkit stood to the side, watching.

"What's wrong Silverkit?" asked Moonkit, sensing something was wrong.

"I don't like fighting... I want to help cats, not injure them. But Jayfeather already has an apprentice," Silverkit complained. Moonkit was suddenly gripped by a searing pain. Letting out a cry, Moonkit fell to the ground.

"Help! Help me someone!" a kit's mew pierced the air. The sound of dirt slipping echoed.

"Ahh!" another cat screamed. Then silence.

"Moonkit!" A vision of Sunkit swam before her.

"Sunkit... Sunkit!" Moonkit jumped up. A crowd of cats had gathered around her.

"See, she's alright now. Aren't you sweety? Did you trip?" asked Amberpaw, an apprentice.

"Uh- yeah, I tripped..." The crowd slowly dissolved leaving only Sunkit and Silverkit.

"Woah, what happened?" asked Sunkit.

"She collapsed!" Silverkit exclaimed.

"I saw... I saw these strange visions... A kit... No, I'm fine."

"Alrighty then, see ya later," Sunkit stole a last worried glance at Moonkit before continuing on.

Moonkit stared around Thunderclan camp in wonder, taking in the hive of activity. Cats bustled about noisily, preparing for the hot greenleaf day ahead. Already Moonkit could feel the warmth of the sun bristling along her back.

"Aww, look at Dovewing's kits! Aren't they lovely?" said Cinderheart to Lionblaze, "I wish our kits were still as puny as them! Speaking of..."

Phoenixkit, Ripplekit and Midnightkit hurtled out of the nursery, bouncing with energy.

"Careful kits!" called Cinderheart after them, "remember, Dovewing's kits are still tiny."

"Hello, you're Moonkit, right?" Phoenixkit bounded up to the solitary cat.

"Yeah..." she murmured, intimidated by the older cat.

"Why Moonkit?" he queried.

"Because of my single white paw on my black pelt. Like the moon on a dark night..."

"That's cool as! Come play! Come on, we don't bite. Well, except maybe Ripplekit, but ignore her. She's as grumpy as an elder!"

"Oh- okay."

"Moonkit!" Moonkit turned her head sharply at the sound of her mother's voice, "Moonkit, come here. We're going on a tour of camp."

"Catch you later, Phoenixkit... Sorry,"

"Alright then, kits, so far we've seen the apprentice and warrior den, so now for the elder's den." Graystripe looked up as the young cats entered.

"Hello Dovewing, who do we have here?" Graystripe asked, licking his paw.

"These are my kits Moonkit, Blizzardkit, Silverkit... and where are you! Ah Sunkit,"

"Awww, how cute!" Purdy purred, "Sandstorm, come an' look at 'em," Sandstorm made no response, but continued to stare vacantly into the distance.

"What's wrong with her?" Sunkit rudely asked.

"Sunkit! Don't ask things like that! Sorry Sandstorm..." Dovewing apologised. She still didn't reply.

"It's alright, although kits are a new addition to the clan, they can still be ignorant," mumbled Dustpelt.

"Sorry to disturb you," Dovewing bowed her head as she herded the kits outside. Moonkit waited for the explosion...

"Sunkit!? How dare you!!!" Moonkit followed the rest of her littermates onwards toward the medicine cat den.

"Hello kits!" said Seedpaw, the medicine cat apprentice, "here's the medicine cat den."

"Make sure they don't muck anything up..." muttered Jayfeather from the corner.

"Wow, it's so cool!" yelped Silverkit, "what herbs do you use for stomach aches, or..."

Moonkit tuned out and left the den along with Blizzardkit and Sunkit.

"I'm tired mum, can we go sleep?"

"Okay," Dovewing poked her head around the ferns, "send Silverkit back once you've had enough of her Jayfeather," He grunted.

The heat and comfort of her mother's fur enveloped Moonkit in a pleasant embrace. Just as she was drifting, a lump of fur startled her.

"Hello again!" Phoenixkit peered over from the other nest.

"Hi..." she whispered, coming to her senses.

"It's sunset outside; wanna see?" Moonkit nodded.

Phoenixkit pulled back a small layer of brambles with a stick. The wall peeled away to reveal a hole that tunnelled straight upwards and showed the sky. It swam with oranges so vibrant and colourful that Moonkit almost fell into a daze; a trance. Phoenixkit's orange pelt blended in perfectly with the sunset above.

"Cool huh?"

"Yeah," The two cats continued to watch the sky until Silverpelt appeared, watching over the Clans.

"Hey Phoenixkit," Moonkit mewed,"You know when I, well, tripped earlier? The truth is, I had a vision, not clear, blurry. There was definitely two cats, one a kit I think. The kit was stuck, and the other cat went to help. And then it went black. I thought it was just a dream, but it seemed so vivid... What could it be?"

"Hmmm," Phoenixkit licked a paw and swiped at his head thoughtfully,"I'm not sure. But my mum said that medicine cats have dreams or omens sent to them by Starclan. And Firestar, our old leader, got dreams from them as well. But I've never heard of a kit getting messages..."

"Oh well, I'm sure it was just a dream... Good night Phoenixkit, see you tomorrow," Moonkit purred.

"Night,"