Jesus, The Resurrection and the Life

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.

John 11:25-26

Not everyone would be brave enough to talk about death- especially our death. In most gatherings, the topic of death is, perhaps, greatly avoided. Death, though dreaded, wields the power to put a stop to life. With death comes a constant reminder that a beginning always has an end.

But what is death to us Christians? If we claim to believe in Christ and therefore receive eternal life, will we be able to overcome death? What assurance do we really have that not even death can hinder us from experiencing the eternal life?

While it is true that death is powerful, it is not really that powerful. A point in time reveals that there is one that has really conquered death: Christ. History tells us that death only had Jesus for a while, but after three days, the Christ that died has risen in all His power and glory.

Because of Christ’s resurrection, death now loses its power. And by this same resurrection, we, Christians, are given the greatest assurance that truly, not even death can separate us from the love of God (c.f. Romans 8:38, 39)

When Christ came back to life, the power of God is revealed. When death seemed impenetrable, the hand of God shattered it. When death seemed unstoppable, God’s power defeated it. 

Because Jesus’ resurrection defied death, we, although certain of physical death, shall live again in him and that our moment of death is but a passage to completely experience the eternal life given to us when we yielded our life to Him.

And because death is already defeated, sin no longer has its toll. Christ’s resurrection is a certificate that the payment done in His death is now complete and could never be reversed. From that time on, death is defeated and Life, that is Christ, reigns supreme!