Why Are You There?

Elijah was afraid and ran for his life…. The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by…..” Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” (1 Kings 19:3,11,13)

It always surprises me to see how God patiently bears the limitations of His servants. In 1 Kings 19, Elijah feared for his life and tried to run away from His call. Burnt out, he wanted to give up serving as prophet and just wanted to quit.

Surprisingly, God sustained him through his 40-day journey. While in a cave, the Lord asked him, “Why are you here?” Don’t you find it surprising that God would ask such question? After feeding him throughout his 40 days of running away, God would ask, “Why are you here?” 

This question is intended to help Elijah reflect. After days of running aimlessly, although with God’s provision, it’s about time to reestablish focus. It’s time to go back home and pursue God’s original purpose for his life. 

Do you find yourself in the same fit? Do you often catch yourself bogged down and burnt out with so many things? Do you feel like running away from everything and just quit?

God in His patience even guides you through your own “running away.” He even sustains you and provides for you in a journey you are not supposed to make. And, in the end, He will help you clear your mind, remove all doubts, renew your purpose and gently lead you back home.

God, guide me through this journey

Take me away from this cave of fear

Renew your purpose in my life

And gently lead me back home.

God, sustain me in this journey

Let me see clearly through clouds of doubt.

Strengthen me that I may hear your voice

Whisper to me and gently restore my soul.