Guilty Gripped by Grace

John 8:6-7,10-11

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

She was deserving of death. And the stones that ought to be cast at her befit anyone guilty of violating the law. The people that dragged her through the streets were certain that this ‘vile’ woman was deserving of capital punishment and Jesus, as it was assumed, would definitely impose a rightful judgment on this woman caught red handed.

Just as when the first stone is about to be hurled at the woman, Jesus spoke and said, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her"… Not a single stone was flung at that time. The words of the Savior hit beyond the surface right into the core of everyone present. Everyone is as guilty as the other. None is more righteous.

And to the woman another surprise awaits. As Jesus bent down He said the words least expected of a ‘dirty’ woman from a righteous Savior, “I do not condemn you…go now and leave your life of sin.” At that moment grace gripped the guilty.

This is exactly what the grace of God looks like. It is when we are certain that punishment should be meted against us then all of a sudden we get surprised at how God gently touches the core of our beings offering us hope like no other. This is exactly what grace is. 

Like the woman forgiven, we, too, experienced God’s amazing grace. Because of this we can live beyond shame and guilt. It liberates us, allowing us to rise from shame and sin. And, yes, it breathes hope and assures us that we are forgiven.

When the guilty is gripped by grace, condemnation disappears. Now, we can start all over again