Perfect in Thorns

2 Cor 12:7-10

7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

It is quite hard to determine if the “thorn” referred to by Paul is physical or symbolic. Although it can be noted that he suffered greatly from it that he asked God to remove it. Somehow, God sovereignly allowed it to afflict him.

Yet, Paul saw a greater good in having it. It showed the reality that he was still, in every inch, human and, therefore, vulnerable. This thorn kept him from destruction as what Proverbs 16:18 foretells, “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” Somehow, this suffering magnified the grace of God operating in his life. 

Do you, like the apostle Paul, suffer from any thorn?

Definitely, you cannot avoid the thorn. But be confident that God has His purpose for everyone that comes your way. More so, learn to embrace God’s grace to enable you to stand strong despite suffering from thorns. God’s grace is sufficient, it is enough to cover everything that lacks in us. 

Also, thorns can help you look to the Lord for power and strength. The moment you accepted you are afflicted by the thorns, you admit our weakness. This is the right condition where God can manifest His power. The apostle testifies that His power is, after all, made perfect in weakness. It is tailor-made to fit you in times of your weaknesses.

If thorns are hurting you now, embrace God’s grace and lean on God’s power. These are made perfect in times of our weakness.