Remy and I both laughed.  Remy winced as she did.  The tears that had forming in my eyes started spilling down my cheeks. 

 “But angels aren’t supposed to cry,” he said, and then his eyes went to my bloody shirt and he shot up into a sitting position, grabbing a hold on my arm as he did.  “Reagan!  Are you okay?”

I cried out as some of the glass embedded in my skin moved, causing me to start bleeding again. 

“I’m sorry,” he said, looking up at me. 

“It’s okay,” I said, my voice shaking, tears spilling down my face. 

“Do you have a first aid kit somewhere?” Remy asked.  “We need to try and get the glass out of her arm.”

“There’s one…”  He looked toward the front of the plane.  Seeing that there was nothing but debris, he looked back at us.  “I think there was another in the back with all of the food and other things.  I’ll go get it.”

He unbuckled his seatbelt that still had him strapped in and jumped out of the demolished jet.  Remy and I both got out of the jet and sat down on the ground a few feet away.  Remy reached over and wiped my eyes with her fingers.

“We’ll fix you right up,” she said, smiling.

“And then we’ll figure out what we’re going to do,” I said. 

She looked at me with worry in her eyes.  “They’ve got to know that something happened to us by now, don’t you think?” she asked.

“I honestly don’t know,” I said. 

There was a loud noise from the back of the jet and Will appeared, carrying three bottles of water, a first aid kit, and what looked like a few energy bars.  He walked over and sat down beside me, dumping everything to the ground. 

“I’ve got the first aid kit,” he said.  “And while I was back there, I found six boxes of these energy bars.  There’s only eight in a box, though.  And there was a case of water bottles back there also, though about half of them were busted.  There’s still some that are in good shape.”  He reached over to gently lift my arm so that the sunlight hit it.  “It might take a while to get all of the glass out.  It’s a good thing they’re not really small so we should be able to get all of it out.”

“Do you have any shots that can numb it?” I asked, laughing weakly. 

He looked up and smile.  “Unfortunately, no,” he said.  He opened the first aid kit and grabbed tweezers, a bottle of antiseptic wash, gauze, and tape. 

“What first, doctor?” I asked.

He laughed, but then looked at me apologetically.  “You’re going to have to sit still while I get all the glass out.  If you move, it’ll only make it worse,” he said.

Will and Remy both moved closer to me.  Remy took hold of my other hand and held on tight, trying to comfort me.  Will wouldn’t be able to work with the sleeve of my shirt falling down, so I pulled it over my head carefully, thankful that I had on a tank top underneath.  Will looked at me for a moment, scanning down my body, but then looked down at the tweezers and reached for them. 

“Are you ready?” he asked, hand posed over my arm with tweezers at the ready. 

I nodded, turning away, and closed my eyes. 

The first piece of the glass he got out only stung a few moments before it ended.  But as he continued, the pieces were deeper and deeper.  When tears started leaking from my eyes, I buried my head in Remy’s shoulder to keep from crying out.