Chapter One-Hundred-and-Two

Start from the beginning

I scooched myself backwards so I was leaning against the wall facing the door. I then began slowly removing the stormtrooper armor so I was only donning my black, tight, training attire. 

I sat there for several hours. My stomach had already been empty upon arrival, but I grew far hungrier as I sat alone for a very long period of time in the holding cell. I was parched and my throat was horrifically scratchy. I couldn't stop wondering when I would be dealt with, and who would be dealing with me. 

Also it'd be nice to know when, or if, I'll be fed, I thought glumly as my stomach growled ferociously. 

Finally I could no longer keep my eyes open. The adrenaline and ware from the battle had taken a toll on my body. I tried to fight off my exhaustion for a few hours. I tried to stay alert in case someone from The Resistance entered, but eventually I gave up and let myself fall asleep. 

*****

"Nira." 

The voice was gentle, aged, and feminine, but I was still too tired to respond at all. 

I began to drift back off to sleep when I heard the same word again. "Nira."

I forced my eyelids open drearily to see a woman sitting in the chair. I had only met her once before and our conversation hadn't been that lengthy, but the conversation was so significant that there was no way I could forget it. 

General Leia Organa looked at me serenely from the wooden chair in the corner of the room, waiting for me to fully come to my senses. Of course, as soon as I saw her I was completely alert and ready to protect myself (although the metal rod was still tightly wrapped around my neck, rendering me electric-less). 

"Good morning." She greeted calmly. I didn't reply but instead squinted my eyes in her, scrutinizing her, analyzing her. 

"You're probably wondering why I came in here alone when you have nothing holding you back and I have nothing to protect myself with." the General addressed me, and she was correct in her assumptions, "And I can easily explain your confusions. I know it's very likely that you could beat me, take me hostage, and escape. I know you could hold me out in front of you by my neck, make me undo your rods, and use me to get you to a ship so you can get back to The First Order."

"I know you could do all of that and more, Nira. And I won't stop you if you choose to. But I'd like to have a mutual trust, and I'm going to trust you not to do those things or anything like similar." Leia explained, leaving me more astounded than I was before. 

I didn't speak for a few moments. I had to carefully construct what I said because I didn't know how my words would be used against me. 

"Why?" I asked the General. My question was legitimate; I had no clue as to why the General was going to trust me, a prisoner, not to try to use my power and escape when she presented herself so vulnerably to me. 

"Why do I want to trust you?" She asked to clarify that's what I was asking. She puckered her lips into a small, almost-smile. 

"Because I want to work with you, Nira." 

I struggled to keep a straight face and show no reaction to her surprising statement that completely took me aback. I couldn't do any bidding for The Resistance because I couldn't commit treason against The First Order. I had chosen my organization and I couldn't turn against my choice. 

"No." I answered blandly, hoping that Leia was smart enough to know why I was denying her. She merely nodded in an understanding way. 

"I thought this might happen. I haven't even told you why I want to work with you, or on what! Why are you so quick to refuse me partnership?" She questioned, leaning towards me slightly. I stared up at her without emotion.