10-You're Going On a Blind Date

Chapter Ten
You're Going On a Blind Date

Graeme and I both share looks of awe and amazement as Static brings us back to reality.

"Come on," he waves us over to follow him down the steep and dark stairs.

Taking a deep breath, I follow after him, descending into darkness with Graeme right behind me.

Once we reach the bottom, I hear a click and lights flicker on.

In front of us lays a wide room, with weapons and tables scattered all around. There's a desk in one corner and a training dummy in another. The idea of Static hanging out in this mysterious room is hard for me to wrap around my head.

"Whoa," Graeme gasps but Static doesn't wait for us, he gets straight to business.

He heads in the direction of the office and we both chase after him. I sneak a peek at Graeme and I can tell that he has questions forming in his mouth but he's smart enough not to speak them.

"How do know everything that you do? Have you tested on Supers before?" Static asks, his question obviously directed at Graeme.

He seems to shift uncomfortably on his feet. Static doesn't notice but I do.

"My parents were Supers..." He trails off and I immediately feel bad even though I wasn't the one who asked him.

"They loved their job," his frown lights up a bit and I can see the joy in his eyes of speaking of them. "And they were incredibly curious as to what's behind everything Super related, so they tested on themselves." His frown returns.

I gasp, my eyes widening in realization. Static seems to pick up because he speaks.

"They were Mystique and Hallow, weren't they?" Static asks softly and Graeme nods.

"They were curious, they had no wrong intentions. But you know what they say, curiosity killed the cat," he lets out a humourless laugh.

This isn't the happy, funny and upbeat Graeme. This is the Graeme who wishes things could have played out differently. The Graeme most Supers can relate to.

None of use dared finish Graeme's sentence. All Supers know what happened to Mystique and Hallow. Most humans know what happened too, since Supers have a great impact on all of their lives.

The Super couple were found dead in their lab one day, due to a said gas spill polluting the air around. They traced it back to them and that's where the found them.

No one knows what happened for sure. Doctors predict that they had been injecting unverified serums into their systems. They were making their own.

Their identities were kept hidden from the public for obvious privacy reasons, although I'm sure if someone looked hard enough to hey could find out their names because the hospital must have them on file.

But now I just imagine seven-year-old Graeme, being told that his parents were gone.

"As I got older I got more curious," Graeme's voice broke me from my thoughts, "so one time when I was twelve, I was wandering around the house. Long story short, I found their hidden lab which had been locked away for years. I went through everything, every discovery, every theory. I found everything." He met my eyes and smiled a bit, "thus my passion for Supers sparked."

It made sense now, why he was so fascinated, how he knew so much. I could feel my eyes start to water.

"Oh," was all Static said. I know he's not used to things like this so he must not know how to act, but I subtly stomp on his foot.