Chapter Thirteen

After a few deep breaths and a strong pep talk I finally open my mouth to speak to Damian. "I am a strong independent woman and I don't deserve to be treated like this" I repeated.

"I'm sorry." I blurt out. Wait-no that's not what I was supposed to say! I internally slap myself. I was supposed to tell him that he can't talk to me and touch me any kind of way he wants. No matter his status or importance to society. Not a simple "I'm sorry." God I sound like a house wife from the early thirties who can't speak back to her abusive husband who works all day. Let's try again I tell myself.

I clear my throat to speak again, but he turns his head and gives me a curt I don't care look and turns back to face the road.

"Silence...that's fine with me." I say biting my lip.

"Good." Is all he says and looks back at the road. I pop my lips and play with my fingers scrunching up my face.

"This is hard for you isn't it?" I roll my eyes and watch the trees as we pass by them.

"Ya know, I really don't appreciate the attitude considering you were the one who threw me over your shoulder and forced me into your vehicle," I grumble staring out the window.

"Oh really? Well the way I remember it you refused to do as I said, argued with me, and resisted me. I simply treated you the same as anyone who attempt to def me." I almost laugh at his absurdity. He can't be this arrogant. Who the hell is this guy?

"Yeah okay Mr. President. You aren't royalty and even if you were-it still doesn't make it okay to handle people when they don't do what you want them to do. Last time I checked this was a free country." We stop at a red light and he turns to me with an eyebrow raised. Am I supposed to be afraid? Is this the part where I wither into non existence. Yeah not happening. Don't tell me that no human has ever knocked him off his pedestal. His mouth is pulled into a thin line. If he was a cartoon character I'm pretty sure there would be smoke coming out of his ears.

"You know what, I think this is my stop." I quickly say and open the car door while the light is still red. I manage to climb out and slam the door before he can grab me. I'm gonna be dead for this.

"Rachel get back in the car. NOW!" The light changes green and a car honks behind him. I wave goodbye and I run as fast as the stilettos can take me and hide between two buildings. When his car is finally out of view I stumble into a small bookstore next to the alley I ran from.

A bell dings as I walk through the door. This place looks ancient. The walls are run down, the books look like they've been through years of torment and the place is deserted. I look out the window and smile. "That'll teach him to be less of an asshole," I huff.

"Hello there, how may I help you?," A voice says behind me.

"Hi, I'm sorry for bothering you I was just-in the neighborhood looking for jobs and I figured why not check out the cool...bookstore." I lie.

"Oh well I'm sorry dearest, unfortunately we can't afford to keep this open any longer..with all the kids reading on their fancy kindles and what not," She waves it off and walks over to the register. I frown. This woman looks like she could be someones grandmother. It's not fair that her store has to go out of business because no one will buy her books.

I walk out of the bookstore with two brand new books and wave a goodbye to Mary. She wishes me a good luck on my job search and I thank her for the books. I really feel bad about her store. Maybe I can talk to my dad and see if he knows someone who can help. I adjust my bag and venture to another store. I really wish I would've stayed in the car. I have no idea where I am. I look for a street sign, but there isn't one. A bus rides up the block and I climb on. I don't know where I'm going, but hopefully there are stores nearby.