Chapter Five

Today I start school. Again. At least i'm a senior, only four more months to go.  I remember convincing mom and not to let me transfer until we were almost done because it would be less work for me to do. I glance at my clock and frown. It's only 5:30? I mine as well start getting ready. I climb out bed and walk into my bathroom to brush my teeth and turn on the shower. I let it run while I walked back to my room to get my clothes out when there's a knock at the door. I mumble a come in while I continue to search for clothes. "How does it feel to be a senior living in California?" dad says with a smile.

"Great I guess" I shrug. Yay I found something.

"I just wanted to give you something before your first day of school," he hands me a grey box with a white bow on top of it.

"Aw dad you didn't have to get me anything," I smile down at the box.

"I know but I haven't really been around lately since I started my new job and started to work more so I just wanted to get you something to say I'm sorry." I quickly take the lid off and frown.

"You got me a phone-th-thank you" I stutter trying to fake a smile but fail miserably. When Lucas died there was no point in having one because I didn't talk to anyone else besides him.

"Yes I know you didn't want one because of when you were a kid but-" he stops mid sentence. Looks like he doesn't know what else to say.

"Dad it's fine I understand" I force another smile on my face. 

"Good I uh-gotta get going Hun but I want you to have a good day. I love you," he kisses my head and runs out. So much for a father daughter moment. My own father can't even talk to me for more than five minutes.

"I love you too," I mumble. I throw the phone down on the bed and hop in the shower. The water feels nice on my shoulders. It's nice to just relax. I squeeze some shampoo on my hands and run my fingers through my locks. When i'm done cleaning myself I turn the water off and wrap a fuzzy towel around my body. I blow dry my hair and throw it up in a messy bun. It looks warm out so I decide to put on a simple black sun dress covered in sunflowers and sandals. When I'm done with that I let my hair fall out of its messy bun down to my waist in it;s natural waves. I spray on some perfume and take one more glance in the mirror when I notice the necklace that Luke gave me. I turn and look at the clock. 6:45. Time to go. I pick up my new phone off the bed along with my bag and head to the kitchen. Mom is still sleeping, so I pour myself a quick bowl of cereal and turn my new phone on. Before I know it, I'm finished with my cereal and put the bowl in the dishwasher and leave out. The school wasn't far from my house or so my mom said so I start walking. About fifteen or so minutes later I reach the school parking lot. I stop to take a deep breath before walking in. Almost everyone has a car. People are staring at me left and right but I just smile and keep walking. I open the school doors and step inside. I walk around for a while until I end up at the office. Bingo.  The secretary smiles and gives me my locker combination and roster and I head out. When I finally make it to my locker I notice a guy trying to pry my locker open. He was about 5'9, maybe a little taller, built with dirty blond hair and dark brown eyes. "See something you like sweet heart," he says with a smirk. Caught.

"No but this is my locker," I roll my eyes at his poor attempt of flirting.

"What? This my locker" he says with a glare like I stole his wallet. 

I look down at the paper the secretary gave me with my locker number and combo on it. "Well this paper says that locker 67 is mine and um," I glance at the number on the locker, "This says 67 so maybe you have it confused for another one." He looks at me like I grew two heads. Who is this guy?

"Look first of all- wait a sec who are you? I've never seen you around here before." He says while undressing me with his eyes. I roll my eyes and groan in disgust.

"My name is Rachel I'm new here and this is my locker, not like it's any of your business," I push past him to open my locker. 

"Whoa alright I'm sorry. Look I'm Chase, since you're new here i'll let you have it," he says with a dirty grin.

"What a gentleman," My voice drips with sarcasm. I open the locker and guess what it's empty. "Well would you look at that it's empty," I say while giving him a small grin.

He looked in the locker and turned red. "Oh that's weird -Wait a minute this one is my locker," He unlocks the one next to it. "My bad I guess I was one off," he says regaining his confidence.

"Apparently" I smirk.

"Look I'm sorry why don't you let me make it up to you," he steps closer to me.

"No thanks " I say without giving him a second glance putting my things into my locker.

"Come on it's the least I can do," he says touching my hair. Okay guy fuck off. I turn around to tell him off when someone else beats me to it. 

"I think she said no," a voice booms standing behind me. This guy beat chase by at least five inches. He has to be at least 6'4. He's tall with broad shoulders,stormy grey eyes and short blonde hair. Looks like he ran his fingers through it a couple of times. 

"Hey I was just trying to be nice," chase mumbles backing away from me.

"Then do it some where else,"no name grits. Yeah as of now that's who he is to me. Man if looks could kill Chase would definitely be lying on the floor deadWith that Chase turns around with his hands up and walks no runs away. Pussy.

"You alright?" the guy who helped me out asks.

"Yeah thanks. I was seconds away from slamming his head in my locker several times so I guess you did him a favor and saved me a suspension," I laugh while pushing some hair out of my face.

"Yeah you probably wouldn't want that with you being new and all," he says laughing with me. He stares at me intently and I notice that his grey eyes have a speck of blue in them. His demeanor just screams authority. His muscles are practically ripping through his shirt. He notices that I'm checking him out and chuckles. I notice a slight blush creeping up his neck and my cheeks start to burn. I quickly turn back to my locker and proceed shoving my books in my locker when all of my books fall out my hands. Really Rachel?  He quickly reaches down to give me a hand when both our hands lightly brush against each others. I jolt of electricity runs through me. I grab the last book and stand up. He stands as well and puts the books that he has in my locker.

"Thanks," I smile while trying to hide my embarrassment. That's right play it off Rachel.

"No problem. I-I'm Holden by the way I'm" he stretches out his hand and I gladly shake it. Way to be overly eager Rachel. Oh shut up.

"I'm Rachel" I finish shoving my books in my locker and close it holding onto the ones that I need. I look down at my shoes and then back at him before mumbling an, "I should probably get to class. Don't want be late on my first day." He chuckles and takes one of my books.

"What's your first class I could walk you?" He suggests. I give him my roster. "Oh easy Mr. Straft he's right up the hall come on," I adjust my bag and follow after him.