Chapter Two

5 Years Later

I wake to the sound of my mother yelling at one of the movers down stairs.

"Rachel come help mommy with these boxes" yells my mother. She can be a little overbearing sometimes, but I love her. I can't believe we're finally moving today. It feels like just yesterday we were saying goodbye to Lucas at his burial and now were moving to California.

My mom would kill me if I went down in my pajamas, so after hours of stretching the kinks out of my back I get up and go into the bathroom to do my normal routine. Seeing how much time I just wasted  I quickly strip out of my pj's and step into the steaming shower. After i'm all clean and shaven I wrap a towel around my body and pick out some clothes to wear.
I figure since we're leaving I may as well put on something nice right? I pull on a white crop top and cut off denim shorts. After i'm dressed I quickly blow dry my hair and throw up into a ponytail. When i'm all done I take a quick glance in the mirror and smile to myself.

As I make my way down the steps I take in just how many boxes there are and pout. This is too much It's too entirely too early.

"Good morning honey" mom says while struggling to pick up a really big box.

"Morning mom" I say with a frown. It's bad enough that we're moving but to take everything with us is just unnecessary. I mean we're taking my old toy chest for crying out loud!

"Oh cheer up honey I know you don't want to move, but it's what's best for your father and us too" she says while rubbing my cheek.

"I know mom" I say putting on a fake smile taking the box out of her hands making my way towards the moving van.

2 Excruciating Hours Later...

"Alright that's the last box" mom says while hunched over the front porch railing. I quickly run back inside the house to grab my bag from inside my old room.

I walk past the spot where my old bed used to be to grab my bag when something shiny catches my eye. It's coming from my closet. 'What the hell is that?' I drop my bag and walk to the closet door. I open the door slowly and my eyes automatically dart to the white box on the top shelf. It's covered in some type of ribbon. 'Where did this come from.'  I grab the box and slide my back down the wall when I see the note that's stuck to the top of it.

Dear Rachel,

I left this note for you and hoped you wouldn't read it until the day you moved. I wish I could've told you how much I liked you so instead of telling you I wrote this poem instead " A kiss is just a kiss until you find the one you love. A hug is just a hug until you find the one your thinking of. A dream is just a dream until it comes true. Love was just a word until I met you." I wish I could've told you this before I died but I wanted you to open it when you were in California. Inside is a gift for you and the truth behind my death.

Sincerely, Lucas.

After I finish reading the note i'm shaking. "What the hell did he mean by the truth behind his death?" H-he liked me? Wait no more importantly he hung himself, there's nothing more to it unless...No I can't do this I have to go. Something wet slips down my cheek. I slowly bring my fingers up to touch the side of my face. 'I'm crying?'  Its been five years since iv'e cried. That just makes me cry harder. My throat starts to close up and my body begins to shake again. I start gasping for air. Okay I need to calm down like right now.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Flashbacks of Lucas from when we were kids start to come back. I start choking on my own saliva and continue to cry my eyes out.

I sob a little while longer until I finally calm myself down. It tickles me how no one came up here within the past fifteen minutes. That would've been a show. I get up and grab the box that Luke left me along with my bag. I make sure that my face is cleaned and head back down the steps to the van  waiting outside. I say goodbye to Lucus' parents who got divorced shortly after his death and jump in the front seat. With one more glance at the box that Lucas gave me we're off.

When we reach the plane after two hours of standing and getting checked, my mother glances up at the box i'm putting in the luggage department above our heads.

"What's that honey?" mom asks gesturing to the box.

"Nothing just some memories I didn't want to forget," I say with a shrug looking away from her. Gosh I hate lying to my mom.

Throughout the plane ride I keep thinking about how Lucas said he loved me. Well not said but wrote. I can't help the smile that comes to my face.

At that moment I vowed that I would never love anyone like that ever again. Especially the way I loved Lucas. That way if something happened to them I wouldn't have to live with the pain of being alone. Again.