Chapter Twelve

I wake to the sound of my phone vibrating. Who the hell could be calling at this time of night? I turn and squint to look out the window. It's still dark out. I growl and reach for my phone. I don't even check the caller ID whoever it is is about to receive a whole basket of hell for waking me up.

"Hello?" I grown.

"Rachel...it's me?"

"What the hell could you possibly want in the middle of the night?" I yell. How did he even get my number?

"I never got to say goodnight." He sighs. This would be so romantic if it wasn't three in the morning and I didn't just see him a few hours ago.

"It's only been three hours Damian." I roll my eyes.

"So?" My eyes close and I blink them back open.

"Goodnight Castellano. And here's a heads up for the next time" I yawn, "you wake me up..." I feel myself falling back asleep. This time I don't fight it.

"I know, goodnight bambino." He whispers.

The next morning I wake with a smile on my face. I had this weird dream that Damian called me in the middle of the night and told me to walk over to my window and when I looked out the window there was a candle lit dinner in my backyard. Weird right?

I walk down to the kitchen to eat breakfast and see a note on the counter from my parents. I read it and scoff. They went to a friends house two towns over. Figures. I open the fridge and prepare what I'm going to cook for breakfast. One thing I'm good at is cooking breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day. Well on the weekends that is...

A few minutes later, Caroline walks in with a half zipped onesie and makeup smudged all over her face. We did each others makeup after Damian left.

"Mmm... a woman who's sexy as hell and can cook? I think I might just move in." She slaps my ass and sits down at the counter. I laugh and put pancakes and bacon on a plate for her.

"Whatever." I prepare my own plate and sit beside her.

"What was that late night phone call all about last night hmm?" She hums and shoves a piece of bacon in her mouth. She was awake?

"You were awake?" I laugh and pour syrup all over my pancakes. I'm too fat to cut them first.

"No, but I know a guys voice when I hear one. Now spill."

"There's nothing to spill. He was just calling to say goodnight." I say like it's nothing.

"He what!" She squeals. I pick my plate up and walk away.

"I'm not talking about this."

"Oh come on. Give me something." She begs and follows after me. I sigh and sit on the couch.

"We're just friends. There's nothing to tell." I shrug it off.

"Oh come on that can't be true. You guys practically almost ripped each others clothes off last night and then he calls to say goodnight?" I try to tune her out.

"We didn't almost...rip each others clothes off..." I pick at my pancakes.

"You're so weird he probably would've had his dirty way with you if I wasn't there." She wiggles her eyebrows seductively and bites into her pancake chuckling. My face heats up and I chuckle awkwardly.

"No-that won't ever happen."I stutter. I mean have you seen me? I'm a complete and utter mess. She giggles and stares at me before speaking again.

"Yeah okay-" She cuts herself off and stares at me for a moment while I sit awkwardly eating my pancakes and not making eye contact.