Chapter 9: At Clar's

Start from the beginning

When we alighted, we took a short bus ride, alighted again, before taking a walk. It was a good thing I'd changed out of my uniform into simple t-shirt and bermudas. The heat was violent even at five-thirty, and it didn't help at all that the area lacked trees. Other than wide roads with tall grasses on both sides, and a couple of cars passing by once in a while, this place was very nearly deserted. A fifteen minutes' walk was enough to bring me near to my knees. It was pure bliss when we finally entered the air-conditioned main office of Madam Clar's Animal Shelter for Dogs. Right underneath their name on the signboard outside was 'Adopt; don't buy!'

"Hello," I said to the lady sitting behind the counter. It, along with the rest of the small office, was white, the walls covered by posters of dogs of different breeds, all smiling down at me cheekily.

The lady looked up and I was met with a pair of emerald green eyes behind red-rimmed spectacles. Her face brightened. "Why, hello there! How may I help you?" But before I could answer, she said, "Oh, you're the volunteer, right? I received your email yesterday." When I nodded, her toothy grin got wider. Instead of getting the chills, I found myself smiling back, suddenly eager to meet the dogs. She chuckled when she saw my reaction. "I know just how you're feeling. I remember how I first started out too, just like you, and look where I am now?" She put out her hand for me to shake. "I'm Lillian Macer. You must be Ellyn Rosieh, I presume?"

"I am. It's nice to meet you, Lillian."

"Now," she said as she moved to stand, her bobhair swaying in rhythm. "I'll bring you to the back to meet our residents and Becca, my colleague. She's doing the last of the cleaning up. We'd usually have more help, but Teri has something popping up at the last minute. The other volunteers will only be around during the weekends, but we do get them on the weekdays, like you, but rarely. Oh, and here, pass me your bag. I'll just put it in here." She stashed it in a locker below the counter and passed me the key.

I just nodded, not knowing what to say, as I walked a little behind her to the door that led outside. Loud barks immediately reverberated throughout the area – a form of welcome from the lovely fellows.

We walked past several large kennels on our right, each enough to hold two to three dogs in one, and these kennels stretched on, finally turning to a corner at one point. A detached tiled roof was raised above us, and they protected the dogs from rain and shine. They even had fans installed intermittently, currently on at full blast, keeping the heat at bay. As we walked on, I started to accept the fact that I would never be able to learn everything about dogs. There were so many different breeds I barely even know half of them, all of which were greeting me with their tongues out and wagging tails. I could feel a smile creep up my face already.

I turned to look at Jarell, expecting him to be affected by the mood the dogs exuded, but all I saw was apprehension. That was when I understood.

"You're afraid of them, aren't you?" I said knowingly, ready to tease him.

"What's that?" Lillian turned to look at me with a smile.

"I'm saying how lively they all are," I said quickly.

Jarell smirked at my mistake. "Careful now," he said. "You don't want anyone to know that you talk to yourself one too many times."

I maintained my smile as best I could when Lillian laughed and said, "Of course! They'd love to have a visitor any day. Not being wanted wholly is a sad, sad thing. These poor beautiful souls. They deserve so much better."

From my mouth, an involuntary gasp escaped. Amidst the barks, that gasp was too soft to be heard. I waited until her back was turned before I let the pang of emotion hit me fully. She had no idea just how well the last thing she said related to me.