Chapter 85: The Alpha of the Pack

PAULENE

"See you tomorrow then, Franz. Thank you so much." I bade him goodbye as I closed the car door. 

Franz.

He's such a sweet, funny guy.

"Was that Ashton's car?" Mom asked.

"Nope. It's Franz's."

"Huh?"

I heave out a sigh.

"Long story, Mom. Franz and I watched a movie instead. It's good. I'm tired but I'm full," I said to her as I was going to my bedroom upstairs.

ASHTON

I watch Nash play Call of Duty but my mind is drifting somewhere else- back to the mall, back to the arcade where me and Paulene where playing Tekken. It makes me smile how she can seriously kick ass.

I felt my iPhone vibrate beside me.

"Nash, stop playing already. Eat something," Dad called out.

My iPhone kept vibrating. There are times when I just feel lazy to take any messages and calls. This are one of those times.

I sighed in resignation as I took it. It was James.

"Hey bro. Ye, its overwhelming i knw. Im here. We can grab a beer."

I set my phone aside again.

I gaze back at Nash.

Our life could be so much better if I sign that contract.

There's something holding me back.

Paulene being one of them.

I can't explain but there's something more.

"Nash," Dad said sternly. 

Nash groaned as he put down the PS3 controller and stomped his way to the dining.

Dad then turned to me and asked, "Are you eating, son?" 

"No Dad. I already ate. But, hmmm... I might join grumpy Nash," I said loud enough for the kid to hear me.

I got up the sofa and walked to the dining with Dad.

"Ashton, can werr plerkk bershball tomorrow?" Nash asked with his mouth full.

"Nash, don't talk while your mouth is full. And sure, I'll go play baseball with you. It's been a while," I answered.

"I thought you have camping tomorrow?" Dad asked.

Camping?

Oh yeah, the camping for the Environmental Action Club. 

It's tomorrow?!

"I almost forgot!" 

"You want to talk about some things cluttering inside your head? You seem--" 

"No Dad, I'm fine," I cut him off.

I want to talk to you about the contract, Dad. I really do. But, somehow, I want to figure what I really want by myself first.

It's selfish, but--

Yeah, I'm selfish.

PAULENE

With my backpack strapped around  both my shoulders, I climbed up the single-decker bus. 

Our org adviser and an Environmental Science professor at ASU, Mr. Clayton Frak, greeted me with "Hello, Paulene! Glad you made it!"