The Unconcious Angel

"What?" Angel asked, utterly shocked and suddenly feeling extremely light headed. "Bu-but how?"

Brooklyn sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He took a step forward, taking Angel's hand in his and guiding her towards his living room. Angel stared at the back of his head until he turned around to face her once they stopped in front of his fireplace.

"They found Matt's body outside the Fynbos City mall a little while ago. He was shot." He stared at the ground for a second before looking up. He crossed his arms and stared at Angel. She was completely drenched in water and her mouth was hanging open. "Where were you, Angel?"

Angel pursed her lips. Her mind was racing. If she told him about where she was, would he think that she was the one who killed Matt?

"I was with Matt," she decided to say, hoping that Brooklyn would believe her. "He came up to me in the parking lot, jabbering on about how Dahlia rejected him and how she got involved with the wrong people, doing naughty things with her friend," she took a deep, shaky breath, "He said that he didn't like being rejected, so he got rid of her -" she paused, "with a car."

Brooklyn wiped his face with his hands, walking over to the couch, sitting down and leaning his head between his knees.

"I thought he was the one who cut the breaks in Dahlia's car, and then ours again, but what if -what if the person who actually did it, shot him, because he told me too much?"

Brooklyn was silent, his head still between his knees.

Angel frowned and walked closer to him, sitting on the coffee table, right in front of Brooklyn. "You don't think I shot him, do you?" Angel stared at him, waiting for an answer.

Brooklyn looked up, his face unreadable.

Angel shot up, frantically wringing her hands. "No! You're the only person in this with me and you're not thinking that I did it! You can check me, I have no trace of having any gun with me and I -"

"Angel!" Brooklyn yelled, jumping up and grabbing Angel's shoulders. Angel fell silent immediately.

"I don't think you did it. It's just a lot to take in."

"Oh," Angel breathed out.

Brooklyn let go of her shoulders and sat back down on the couch. Angel sat back down on the coffee table, facing him again.

"What trouble is he talking about? And what friend? It's not you, right?" He asked.

"Not me no, we didn't really get into trouble. Come on, it's Dahlia."

Brooklyn sighed, starring at the ground again.

Angel suddenly flashed back to the first night Dahlia and Angel got drunk.

"Didn't I tell you, to call me the Queen of fabulous?" Angel giggled as she and Dahlia hung onto each other. They were standing on the stoop of one of Brooklyn's friend's houses, a bunch of people laughing at them, finding everything extremely entertaining. "I apologize your majesty," Dahlia said and bowed down low and Angel waved at everyone around her. "I declare you the best friend I've had," Dahlia said and her face suddenly went serious. "You're my best friend, not her."

"Brook," Dahlia said, tapping his leg vigorously. Brooklyn looked up. "I just remembered something. Dahlia always told me that I'm such a good friend and then adding something like 'unlike some people' or 'not like her' like I was a better best friend then someone previous."

Angel flashed back to a few other moments then.

"Look at Jen and Madelyn fighting again," Dahlia said, shaking her head as they strode past the school grounds. Angel sighed and kicked at a rock with her school shoes. "They shouldn't be fighting like that," Angel said and they stared at the two girls screaming at each other, "Best friends don't do that." Dahlia was silent, staring at a nearby acorn tree with her lips pursed. "Not everyone is such good a friend as you are."