i'm giving you a nightcall by clairedearing- FMA

http://archiveofourown.org/works/886178

Summary:
Edward Elric (the second) has always had to balance the two sides of his life; on one proper flesh and blood hand, he's a genius working as a crime scene investigator, putting his younger brother through university. On the other not-actually-flesh-and-blood hand, he's also the red-hooded vigilante Fullmetal, protecting Central City from criminals and assholes like 'the Dragon'. But mutilated bodies have stared showing up, and now he has to deal with his estranged sorta-maybe-ex-boyfriend (who's in charge of hunting down Ed's alternate persona), keeping the public from various levels of hysteria, and stopping a mysterious group who seem to be echoing the one his mother used to belong to...

Review:
Modern au. This story is based off of Conqueror of Shamballa with some brotherhood characters. Edward Elric the second, Alphonse and Winry are the great descendants of our Edward and Alphonse Elric. Ed and Al do practice alchemy and so do a few of their friends. Edward picks up a case that leads him to a alchemy group, "The Sins." Turns out that they are led by a descendent of Eckhart, who also wants to open the gate to Shamballa, but it's to impress her adopted father Edward Elric the first even though he has already past.
Amazingly well written. The storyline is intricate and detailed. I honestly didn't think that this au would be so awesome, I thought it was gonna be another cop au, but it was so much more. You can't put it down once you start reading it. It has 11 chapters but they are really long. And you see all your favorite characters from Fullmetal, even though they technically aren't the actual people, they still the characters we know and love.