December 2, 1917

Hello Ian,

I might as well get right to the confessing. A lot has happened since my last letter and you might be mad at me by the time you finish this.

First off, Abel was here. He came to ask about you, and he and I got into a row about Charlie, and then about all that happened. I don't know what to say about it. He looks terrible. He doesn't understand why I wouldn't come home. He told me that he came to see you before you shipped out. I don't know why you didn't tell me, but I suppose you didn't know what to say about it either.

I quit my job at the Monroe House. It's not because I'd had enough of Queen Lil. I did something stupid. I haven't been telling you all of everything that has been happening with me, and the big thing is that Robbie Monroe started coming around a lot. I didn't do anything and he never tried, but we started to like one another a little too much. We went to the pictures a little while ago and he kissed me. It was just a peck, but then it happened again when he was over to play cards. This time it wasn't a peck.

So I told him to go away. He did, and then we didn't speak the next day. Mrs. Monroe knew something was up and gave me a talking to, and so I quit right then and there.

I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to, as Mum used to put it, so you won't have to kill him when you come back. It was only a kiss and there won't be any more. I'm sad though. He's a very nice man and I really do like him, but I guess I know how it will end if I let it keep up.

I was going to go to the cotton factory to see if I could get on right away. It would have been hard work and I might have been there all night, but it was my first option. Helena caught up with me when I was leaving the house and told me that she knew of a lady on Quinpool Road who was looking for a day woman. Her other day woman got married when her man came back and she left. I went right up to talk to the lady and she gave me the job.

Her name is Polly Cormier and her husband is a doctor. The house isn't as big as the Monroe House and she is not as fussy as Mrs. Monroe is. I think I will like working there, but I don't know for how long. They are from Toronto and don't own the house. When Dr. Cormier comes back from the war, they will probably go back to Upper Canada where their people are.

Things are better and maybe in the new year we will be able to move somewhere else. I haven't said much and I told Charlie not to, but the flat isn't very nice. Not like I told you it was. I don't think you would be very happy with us living here. I think it is time for a change anyway. I don't know if Charlie wrote anything to you and I didn't know about it either, but he has been made fun of at school for being poor. I don't like that at all. It shouldn't matter to anyone who much money we have, especially in times like these. It makes me wonder if we would be better off going back to Abel after all

Do you think I did the wrong thing in telling Robbie Monroe not to come around any more? I can't stop thinking about it. I keep changing my mind because I miss seeing him all the time. I didn't do anything with him, but I can see how women get into trouble. Your head gets all fuzzy when it happens and the things that are supposed to make sense don't any more.

That's all I have to say tonight. I'll write you again soon and hopefully a better letter with my head clear. Wherever you are, I hope you are safe.

Love,

Dorothy