Chapter 7 - Old Habits Die Hard

✞

The rest of the school day went by terribly.

I ate lunch on the roof, which has become my new usual. I loved sitting up there. The air felt fresher, and I was alone. It gave me a quiet place to be alone and think. Today I packed my own lunch which contained a tuna sandwich and some blueberries. Not much, but enough to keep my hunger at bay. I stare out at the clear skies, thinking of Claire. As much as she hurt me by completely cutting me off, I still care for her nonetheless and prayed she was doing okay. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if no one associated with her because of me. What if she's completely alone? It'd be all my fault. That'd explain why she cut me off though.

I decided to do some research and pulled out my phone. I logged into my Instagram and searched up Claire's username. I quickly found her and what I saw shattered my heart. She deleted all the pictures of us. There wasn't a shred of me existing in her life. She recently posted a picture of her with some girls I vaguely recognized at some house party. They were all laughing and looking like they were having a good time. I sadly smiled and clicked out of the app and put my phone back in my bag. At least I knew she was okay.

I threw all my trash away and made my way downstairs back to the hallway. I kept my head high as per usual and started my way to 5th period. As I got closer to my class I noticed a big crowd had formed in the hallway. I shrugged off the tiny bit of curiosity I had and walked right past. I noticed most people avoided looking at me as though I was invisible. I was more than okay with that. I actually preferred that. I quickly entered my class and took a seat in the back.

I zoned out for most of the class time and doodled on my complete worksheet. In a perfect world I'd probably pursue my dead passion for art and music, but unfortunately I don't have time or energy to have an extra curricular. I don't see much of a chance of me having any kind of real future with the direction my life is going. I can't risk my name getting out or have time to settle. My heart ached as thoughts of my mom popped in my head. 

She put her life on hold for me. She was on her way to getting her nurse degree when we decided to move. She's a bartender now so it's easy to find a job wherever we go. I was around 12 when we dropped our lives to go on the run.

The bell snapped me out of my trance and I quickly shoved everything in my bookbag. I sling it lazily over my shoulder and walk to the teachers desk and put my paper in the turn in tray, ignoring the teachers friendly smile.

I ignored the pang in my heart as I ignored the friendly gesture and made my way to sixth period.

It's crazy that it's only been a couple weeks and I feel like an entirely new person. A couple weeks ago I was talking more than two sentences a day, I was running the God damn school and I was laughing. To be quiet honest I don't think I've even laughed since I moved to Oregon. I felt another ache in my heart as Claire went through my head again. What did I expect.