Chapter 4

The flu is gone, Emily is good. She's okay, she's healthy.

But Friday was probably the worst day of my life.

I've been so preoccupied the last few years with raising my family that I didn't even see it.

I didn't see the irritation. I didn't see the fighting. I didn't see the bags under their eyes. I didn't even think twice when I walked into my old room and saw my bed was unmade, like somebody had slept in it the night before.

But now, as I sit here and think about it, it all makes sense.

The memory of Friday night rus through my head again.

"Why do we have to be here?" I ask Mom.

She gives me a sad smile.

"We'll be brief." She says.

I sigh, walking into the living room.

All our family is here, and Delaney's, and Blake's, and the Cerda's.

"Mom, we're having a family thing on Sunday, when my kids don't have previous commitments."

"I'll be brief." Mom repeats. "Basically, everyone else is here for support." Mom says.

Confused, I drop down on the couch next to Shaun. Tyler sits on my right.

I look at Shaun.

"Beats me." he shrugs.

I sigh.

The kids are listening to.

We're all interested now.

Mom insisted we come today.

Mom looks at Dad.

He shrugs.

She's not sitting next to him.

"Sunday will be the last family event in this house." Mom says.

"Why?" Shaun asks.

"Yeah, why?" I ask, looking at my twenty nine year old brother.

Mom looks down, clearing her throat.

"Your Mother and I are getting divorced, and since we couldn't compromise on who gets the fucking house," Dad looks at Mom with so much hate, "We're selling it."

Memories hit.

Me as a child, watching them break up, listening to them fight all the time, being terrified of a relationship...

I stare at them.

Shaun doesn't say anything.

"Round five it is." Shaun scoffs.

"It's real this time." Dad says. "I'm sick of her, she's sick of me..." he trails off.

"You could be a bit more sensitive." Mom says.

"I've already filed, everything is divided." Dad says. "It finalizes Monday."

I look up at Mom and Dad.

"You two are pathetic." I spat, standing up.

"Carmen," Dad begins.

"No! Shut the hell up for once!"

"Hun," Tyler stands up.

"No." I shake my head. "I had science in my hands, telling me that he got by best friend pregnant." I hiss. "And. I. Stood. By. Him." I glare at them. "What? You have a few arguments and you give up? Pathetic. This is pathetic. This-" I gesture around the room. "Will be the last event with everyone. I won't be here on Sunday."