Chapter 20 - Meet the Family

Beginne am Anfang

With nine riders.

Familiar riders.

"What is it, Captain?" One of the sailors asked as Tristan beamed with happiness.

"Ring out the alarm..."

"Why?" Another sailor asked as Tristan faced his men.

"Because the Chief has come home..."

***

Excitement filled the villagers as they saw for their own eyes – the dragon riders landing on Berk.

Hiccup climbed off Toothless as his Night Fury and Aurora, reunited with their offspring.

Valka walked over to her son, beaming with happiness and relief and she hugged him and her daughter-in-law, both of whom smiled as well.

"I'm so happy you're both home!" She broke away and hugged Adelheid as Isolde and Tristan hugged them as well.

Astrid cooed at the sight of her daughter as she took her in her arms and kissed her head, Hiccup stroking her hair as they reunited with their daughter.

Fishlegs greeted his parents, the twins greeted theirs and Snotlout greeted his as Heather and Eret were greeted by Gobber.

"I believe there are some people here to see you?" Gobber smirked and Heather and Eret looked at each other in confusion.

Through the crowds, they appeared and Heather's mouth fell open.

"Mom? Dad?" She cried and they didn't speak, but hugged her. "Wha...what...what are you doing here?" She managed to say after they broke away.

"Here to see you, our darling daughter!" Mr Hellqvist stated as Heather crossed her arms.

"Try again!"

"No seriously! We are here to see you! And your new life on Berk!" Her mother stated, pinching her cheek and Heather was unsure whether to believe them. Every time her parents encountered her, they always brought bad news.

"You have to tell us everything you've been up to!" Mr Hellqvist replied and Heather nodded, pulling a face as she noticed to other familiar faces.

"Rose? Ivy?" Seeing her younger sisters for the first time in what seemed like forever, brought happiness after the long, dark days before.

"Heather!" The girls squealed as they all reunited and Heather admired them. They all had jet-black hair and while Ivy wore hers in a simple pony tail with braids weaved in, Rose held her hair up in a bun, low on the side of her head, with a fringe that fell over one of her eyes. "We've missed you!"

"And I've missed you!" She said and as the Hellqvist family reunited and bonded, Eret smiled.

"Did you miss us?" A voice came from behind him and he turned around...and it was his time to be reunite with his family.

"No way!" He greeted his brothers and his parents as they ruffled his hair, admired his clothes and status and befriended his dragon, asking every question under the sun.

"So...what happened?" Valka's question caused the riders to all look at her, breaking away from their individual family reunions as their eyes fell on the chief.

"We don't want to talk about it..." Hiccup said simply, looking away from his mother and everyone frowned, muttering amongst the villagers.

"Hiccup..." Valka put a hand on her son's shoulder but he shook his head. The riders dropped their heads regretfully and followed their Chief into the Great Hall while the villagers muttered and mumbled between themselves – what happened?