Chapter 3 - His Sister's Keeper

CHAPTER 3 - HIS SISTER'S KEEPER

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Quick pointer. Attached here is a map of Scotland in the Medieval period. 

So with a better understanding of Scotland in the Viking Era, is this;

Scotland was ruled by the King, Kenneth III who was of Clan MacAlpin. 

A 'mormaer'/comital is a county and it was ruled by an 'Earl', who was usually the biggest clan in the area. The 'Earl' was second to the King but had greater power than Clan chiefs. 

Why Hamish is 'King of Donan' is explained further down, but this is an idea of the make-up of Scotland and the different areas/earldoms. 

Donan is in Caithness which is the highest point of Scotland and where many Norse men settled. 

You can also see in the map where Strathclyde and Galloway are (both play a big role in the book). 

Don't forget the year is 1003AD. 

Vikings are still around and kicking and don't actually leave into 1066AD. 

Okay, enough of the history lesson, on with the story!

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*FOULIS CASTLE, ROSS, CALEDONIA*

ADA'S POV

"Sunlight comes creeping in...Illuminates our skin...We watch the day go by...Stories of all we did...It made me think of you...It made me think of you..." I sang as I stared the ceiling up above in the cold, stone cell that I had been confined in as tears fell helplessly down my eyes.

Memories of my life flashed before my eyes as I croaked out the words to the sweet lullaby my mother would sing to me.

"Oh lights go down...In the moment we're lost and found...I just wanna be by your side...If these wings could fly...For the rest of our lives..."

I was all alone and this time...for real.

I had no-one and that hurt more than anything.

I should never have come here

And more importantly, I should never have asked Elinor for her help.

She had told me everything that had happened with Karolina and I had felt anger all the way. I was a bounty hunter, I knew people and I know she made a terrible decision.