The Goodbye

Jeremy stepped forward placing his hand on Isabelle’s shoulder. Her head continue to hang down. He felt he wasn’t going to be able to make her feel better. He felt the same way as her. He was scared. He wished he could go back to his house and hide under his covers. So instead of trying to make her feel better, he wanted her to feel motivated.

“Isabelle, the shadow keeps going after our society. At some point he will switch over to non special humans. We need to stop him.”

Isabelle looked up with tears just pushing the edges. She stared into Jeremy’s eyes searching for the answer she wanted to find. He didn’t have to say anything. He meant every word he said. Isabelle nodded slowly. She wiped her face sloppily. Jeremy hesitantly began to close the gap between Isabelle and himself. Slowly he put his arms around her waist giving her a long, full hug. Isabelle accepted his hug. She needed the strength and support. She felt she could melt right into the floor.

They slowly gathered their things. They needed to move and move quickly. If they wanted to keep their allies alive their bodies had to go to the next safe house. Jeremy needed to figure out how they would gain more information about the whereabouts of the shadow. As they finished, a knock came at the door.

“Come in,” Jeremy bellowed.

Slowly the door creaked open to reveal Isabelle’s grandmother. She stayed just from the opening staring at the two her were now side by side. Her hands slightly shook.

Isabelle looked at her curiously,”Are you okay?”

Her grandmother looked hesitantly up at her, “I’m fine. I’m scared you’ll disappear like your mother. We pushed her away for so long for the choice she made from her heart. I never got the chance to say I was happy she was happy. I didn’t care who she married. All I wanted was her happiness. In our society, there had to be stupid ideals. I was taught to follow them and I had a fear of what would happen if I gave her permission to break them. And for that I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. She was happy. I think she would have asked you for help but she had fear of the family rejecting her again. My father was always there. I’m sure she knew she loved you. And don’t worry I’ll make sure she gets back here so you can say your apologies.”

“Well, I want you two to keep yourselves safe. I’m going to the library. I don’t think I could handle another goodbye. Your grandfather will meet you at the door in fifteen minutes.”

“Thank you.”

Isabelle’s grandmother walked out quickly closing the door behind her. Isabelle took a deep breath. Jeremy turned to her giving her another hug. He made soft, comforting whispers in her ears. Isabelle suddenly pulled back.

Jeremy stared clueless at her,”Did I say something wrong?”

“No, I’m just unsure.”

“About what?”

“You and I.”

“Um, okay. What part of us aren’t you sure about?”

“What are we?”

“A couple”

“I feel weird about this. I know I said yes. And I know we were promised to each other. I just thought this would happen differently, I guess.”

“Listen, I know this is awkward, but if we are going to save your mother we need to be able to get through without too many questions. Being together allows us to be stronger.”

Isabelle nodded, although not fully convinced. The two gathered the rest of their things heading down the stairs. At the foot of the stairs stood Isabelle’s grandfather. Jeremy grabbed her hand as they descended. After hitting the ground floor, Isabelle’s grandfather walked over to the two. He grabbed Isabelle by her shoulders and pulled her into a warm hug. Isabelle let out a small squeak. He ended the hug, giving her a small kiss atop of her head.

“I’m sorry my dear, I have never been good with different.”

Isabelle pulled away and glanced up at her grandfather, “I understand. You will be forgiven. She will forgive you. I will bring her home to us.”

“Stay safe and call if you need anything. Samne with you Jeremy.”

Jeremy gave a soft nodded. Joe came in from the outside startling the group. Isabelle’s grandmother gave her a tight hug. She followed the action with giving Jeremy a quick hug. After the brief goodbyes they headed out to the car going to the next location.