please don't feed the children chp.14

LANE’S POV

She wasn’t answering me.

I could barely see; when the lights went out it was like a sheet went over my head. I heard her breathing; I felt her heat coming off her skin, but I it wasn’t enough to convince me she wasn’t in danger.

After all, the room was shaking.

I probably would’ve tried to move if my body wasn’t in so much pain. Even the prospect of breathing felt impossible with my lungs wheezing the way they were now.  Blood that dripped from my wound was now sticking to my cheek, and it stung like hell. I wanted to wipe it away, but my arm felt like it was detached from me. I’m going to keep that to myself though. Caroline had enough to worry about.

Suddenly a loud pop comes from the room, followed by the sound of gushing water.

One of the pipes broke, I thought, and judging by same sounds repeating after the first, more pipes were breaking.

Caroline must’ve heard it too, since I heard her take a sharp intake of breath. She was scared, but she didn’t look for comfort. Why?  I was right here, willing to hold her, even if it caused me pain. Instead she draws always from me and tries to survive this alone. She has to be nervous, she has to be. The room was shaking furiously, not letting up and calming down. That alone would alarm someone. And when you add in the factor that you’re alone in the dark, it would send anyone into panic mode.

But I don’t see her trying to find me, so I keep my mouth shut.

Something hits me on the back and causes my skin to throb madly; probably just some broken off pieces of stone falling from the ceiling. I draw in a breath and bite my tongue, trying to keep the scream inside. Only a small whimper escapes, which gets blown away by the noise the gushing pipes were making. I hope she doesn’t hear it. I don’t want her feeling guilty for what Jason did to me.

Speaking of which; if we were shaking down here, were they?

And if they were… are they just going to save themselves?

There was a very good chance at this moment that both Caroline and I could die. If something collapses, we’ll be crushed to death. The walls would cave in, the air would become minimal, and our bones would crack like twigs under the pressure. We could be gone in an instant, unless someone got us out of harm’s way.

But that chances of that miracle are slim, and as I’d come to realize, luck was not on my side.

I’ve got the scars to prove it.

Oh Caroline, what is going on here?

CAROLINE’S POV

My ankles are wet.

It could be blood; it could just be the water bucket spilling over. Either way I was not swayed into finding out. I keep my head up, letting my teeth chatter from the vibrations. They had become less and less dominant, but they still threatened to knock me over if I wasn’t careful.  I kept hearing the scraping of stones that were separating from each other with ever quake of the floor, and it was starting to make my ears ring.