Chapter 17: Don't Worry, Smile for Me

Clouds littered the skies, but it didn't stop the afternoon sunlight from peeking through this day. Ji Eun took steady breaths as she shuffled the small bouquet of flowers from one sweaty hand to the other. With one last second to enjoy the nice weather, the nicely dressed girl entered the Columbarium before her.

She gave gentle smiles to every person she passed down the hallways since she knew where they were all coming from. Visiting the place was a must for the girl for the longest time, it was a shame it took her a while to return. But with today being the last day to do so for a longer while, there was no way she wouldn't miss.

Ji Eun slowed down her pace when she noticed a male sitting by the staircase. His head was lowered, his face hidden to people passing by. His outfit today was well-kept, with a navy blue sweater over a collared shirt, complete with black jeans and nice shoes. She would admit that even with the circular glasses and the mask to cover most his face, any crazed fangirl would still recognize him.

Baekhyun also held a bouquet similar to hers.

With a grin, she walked over to her boyfriend and tapped his shoulder. "Ah, so you are free today?" she asked him.

Baekhyun glanced up and met her eyes. "Well, today is a special day for you and you invited me to come over, how could I decline?" He stood onto his feet and grabbed on her hand. "Show the way."

"You sure no one will find out you're here?"

"Mmhm, my manager will cover everything, I promise."

With the assurance, the couple ascended the stairs, Ji Eun leading. The room they wanted to reach was at the third entryway to their right. They entered the fortunately empty room, approaching the niche where young woman's mother rests.

Inside the glassed compartment held the cremated jar, its outside painted in beautiful swirls of blue and white flowers. A rosary and her wedding ring laid next to the few pictures. One picture was of the beautiful woman herself, her long brunette hair falling elegantly past her shoulders and wearing the same exact rose-colored dress from Ji Eun's prized photo. The other pictures consisted of the whole family, obviously through the years judging from the age of Ji Eun in each one. The most recent picture was definitely the one with Ji Eun donned in her high school uniform, standing alongside her visibly thin mother, with a 1st place plaque in hand.

A gentle smile tugged at Ji Eun's lips as she took Baekhyun's bouquet of flowers to combine with hers to place down on the floor before the niche.

"Hello, eomma, I'm sorry I haven't visited you in a while," the young woman murmured in nearly a whisper. "I was in a dark place after you left, but finally, I think I can be at peace. I brought the man that helped me. Please meet my boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun."

The idol gave a slight bow towards the jar out of respect. "Hello, Ji Eun's mother. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you from your beautiful daughter."

"Oh jeez, Baek."

"What? It's true," he defended himself with a light chuckle. Baekhyun turned his gaze back to the niche, staring intently at the family picture of Ji Eun with her parents. They were all smiling brightly in the picture in front of their chicken restaurant. To say the least, the idol was slightly nervous. "Ji Eun's mother, your daughter went through a lot in the past couple years, but please don't worry too much anymore, because I will stay by her side no matter what. You probably lead her to me and I would like to thank you so much for it. I will take care of your daughter with her father for you."

The girl's heart fluttered at his sentimental words.

"Don't worry eomma, I can only get stronger from this point on," Ji Eun chimed next. "I'll become more independent so I won't have to rely on Baekhyun or appa too much."