Chapter 6: War Is No Place For An Ordinary Person

"Yeah she offered me a full ride, and she said that if I wanted I could start classes at the end of the semester," Greer said while typing on the computer. Greer and Casey sat in the library working on their English project that was due in two months.

"What did you say to her?" Casey asked listening intently to Greer's confession.

"I said that I had to talk to my dad," after Maria asked Greer that most important question of her life she left leaving Greer alone to think everything. Over not only was she thinking about the whole college thing, but she was still thinking over Casey's proposal to move in with his family.

"Well, my personal opinion is that you should finish high school then go to college, if they want you now then they will want you in a year after you finish your senior year. These are you high school years you'll only get to live them once," Casey tried to reason with Greer. He wanted her to see what she would be given up if she left.

"It might be that way for you but you don't do through my daily struggles of being picked on by the popular crowd, Casey you are loved by everyone you don't know what it feels like to be at the bottom," Greer felt a little defensive when Casey stated his opinion on the matter. She was happy to know that Casey was listening and that he had an opinion, but it wasn't his chose to choose whether or not she should stay or not.

"I'm sorry but I think you need to think this over first," Casey didn't want his friend to leave he wanted to spend the rest of his high school years with his new friend even if that meant being teased by the football team for hanging out with 'trailer trash'.

"I don't know okay, but it doesn't matter right now I have to worry about this math test next period," Casey let out a little chuckle at hearing Greer's anguish voice. Casey had quickly learn that Greer hated math with a burning passion, even though she was the best at it.

"It doesn't matter everyone already knows you're going to ace it, it's me who needs to worry about it," Greer laughed at Casey's over dramatic behavior. Greer knew that Casey was going to pass this test with flying colors, I mean how couldn't he, he is after all the golden boy perfect at everything.

"Whatever, I better go before I'm late to math," Greer quickly shut the laptop making sure she saved it first, then packed up her things and walked out of the library leaving Casey to finish up the posters. Casey had two free periods back to back because since he played a varsity sport and was the captain he didn't have to take gym class which was a total win.

"Hey Casey," Casey looked up from the picture he was gluing down to see Saige walking in Casey's direction with a big smile on her face. Casey instantly got all nervous and flustered. In the little amount of time Casey has been hanging out with Saige he really has grown to like her more and more each time that they hang out together.

"H-hi Sai-Saige," Casey stuttered out. Casey mentally scolded himself for acting like the biggest fool in the world.

"Cat got your tongue I see," Saige sat down in the chair that was once occupied by Greer. Today's Saige's bright blond hair fell down her back in beautiful waves, making Casey want to run his hands through it. Her smile was on full display making butterflies erupt in Casey's stomach, for whatever reason whenever Casey was around her he felt like a little fourth grader again crushing on a girl.

"Don't you have Home EC?" Casey tried to avert the topic trying to make the situation less awkward for him.

"Normally yes but Mrs. Bunch got sick during lunch and Principal Gunner didn't have enough time to call a Sub which means I get to hang out with my little sugar," Saige said pinching Casey's cheek causing Casey to blush a bright red color.