Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"I rather have them kill me than you."

"You can't possibly love them." Prometheus threw back. There was a short pause before Hannibal answered in a voice so cold that it chilled me right to the bones.

"I love Cain. And he loves Abel. I'm only keeping Abel to make Cain happy. And I'm keeping Cain to make me happy. You wouldn't understand because the only thing you love is yourself." There was another pause and the air rippled with Prometheus's power, indicating he was teleporting from the room, finished with his discussion with Hannibal. I cocked my head at that and started to pull back and continue with my escape when Cain slammed his shoulder hard into the dark, making me wince.

"Hannibal, you sick bastard! If you touch Abel again, I swear to God I'm going to break your skull open with my bare hands!" He shouted. I glared at him, amazed at his stupidity. He cared more about kicking and screaming than he did escaping, and that just pissed me off.

"Nice job, asshole!" I hissed. He didn't get a chance to say anything because the door opened and Hannibal stood in the doorway, staring down at Cain and I. Cain glared up at him and spat at him, but I just remained silent. I rather not piss off the guy who was holding us hostage.

"Stop yelling," Hannibal said at last, "Prometheus and Rara will be back and if they get pissed enough, they'll kill you." Cain sneered at him.

"You treacherous little bastard! I should have smashed your skull under my boot!" He snarled and Hannibal just sighed. He came into the closet, grabbing Cain by the back of the ropes holding him and threw Cain to the back of the closet. And remember, the cobblestone walls probably didn't feel like a fluffy pillow. There was an audible crack when Cain's skull struck the wall and I was surprised to hear a pained little squeak escape Cain's throat as he fell on his side, breathing hard. I could smell the fresh blood that was probably running down through his hair and along the back of his neck from the wound.

And for a split second, I saw agony flit through Hannibal's eyes before they hardened again to their usual stoic selves. Hannibal was always good at hiding how he felt, apparently. Hannibal tilted his head slowly, the hair falling from the left side of his face to reveal the scars there. He stooped down, reaching out to run his fingers through Cain's hair. Cain barely noticed. He looked like he was trying to blink himself back to consciousness after a moment of blacking out.

And a strange hot fissue cut through my chest as I watched Hannibal stroke Cain's hair, brushing it out of his face so as to get a better look. I narrowed my eyes and felt a growl start in the back of my throat. Hannibal paused his petting to glance in my direction, then across the floor back to Cain again.

"I never pegged you for the jealous type." He commented quietly. I curled my lip.

"I'm not jealous, asshole. Get your paws off my brother."

"That's jealousy."

"You have to have a heart to have jealousy."

"You have a heart," Hannibal replied calmly, getting to his feet and pausing to press his hand against his cheek, as if he could transfer the feeling of Cain's hair from his palm to his face, "And that's why you'll never be as perfect as Cain." I glared at him intensely, feeling another surge of anger rush up my chest.

"What were you talking about with Prometheus earlier? What memories was he talking about?" I demanded. Hannibal stared at me blankly, then reached into his pocket and took out a pair of black gloves, placing them on his hands.

"With a heart," He said, ignoring my questions, "You can feel jealousy, rage, love, hate, sorrow, happiness, agony, and loneliness. But without a heart, you don't see things in shades of gray, just black and white. That makes things so much easier. And you're white, like the light that God created for you. Cain is black, like the darkness that blankets the night in truth. You're white, like a lie. Cain is black, like truth. And no matter how pretty and bright light is, it's never as alluring as darkness. And I want truth. I want darkness. I want Cain. But to have him, I have to have you."