79 But Not Incompetent

(Chapter 28: 79 But Not Incompetent)

Right before Leander and I commenced our search for Cynric and Alaric, they came walking down one of the branching hallways.

"There you two are! You took off so fast, we had no idea where you guys went!" I scolded them as we met halfway.

"I took off faster than I expected," Cynric said, rubbing the back of his neck before noticing the book in my hand. "Did you find what you were looking for?" I nodded, tightening my grip on the book before turning towards Alaric.

"Alaric, can we take this book with us? It has an up-to-date location of my pendant," I asked hopefully, praying he'd say yes. To my dismay, he shook his head.

"I would let you, kid, but the magic on the books wears off once they leave the library, and are unable to be used until brought back. I'm afraid it'll have to stay, but I can update you three on the hunters' whereabouts that have your necklace!" he offered.

"How will you be able to do that?" I asked him in confusion. He gave me a weird look before pulling a smart phone out of god knows where.

"By texting you?" he said in a slow tone, giving me a look that said I should have known where he was talking about.

"You mean you actually know how to work those?" Leander asked incredulously. Alaric glared over at Leander.

"I maybe 79, but I'm not incompetent. I know how to work a phone," Alaric bit out, Leander brought his hands up in surrender. Alaric seethed at Leander a bit longer before turning towards me.

"What's your number?" Alaric asked. I rambled off my ten digit number for the old man to use to contact me.

"I don't think you'll be able to get cell reception down he-" I started off, but froze when my phone chimed. Alaric looked up from his phone, sending me a knowing look. I pulled it out, an unknown number sending me a text.

We do have cell reception ✌️👌

"You type like a teenager!" Leander exclaimed over my shoulder in shock as he read the text over my shoulder. Alaric rolled his eyes at the surprised boy, before taking his phone and waving it around.

"Now I can get in touch with you whenever the location of your pendant moves. Let me see the book so the library doesn't think we are done with it and puts it back." I handed the book over, while simultaneously saving Alaric into my phone.

"And we just head off to the hunter's now? Just the three of us?" Cynric asked, doubt lacing his voice.

"Cynric makes a good point. There was at least twenty hunters there. They could more than likely easily overpower us," I chimed in. Leander rubbed agitated hands over his face.

"What are we supposed to do then? We came this far for nothing?" irritation was evident in Leander's tone as he uttered out his question.

"You guys are missing a small detail," Alaric said pointedly. All eyes turned towards him, and I raised an eyebrow in interest.

"What small detail are you talking about, Alaric?" Cynric asked for the three of us. A large grin spread across his features.

"Why of course, the Starr family!" Alaric spoke in a tone that said it was an obvious answer. I blinked blankly a few times before turning towards the guys in confusion. Both had a thoughtful look on their face as they contemplated the idea.

"What's this about the Starr family?" I asked dumbly as my gaze flitted between the three males. Alaric slapped his thigh before pointing at me.

"That's right your parents kept you under a rock! The Starr family can easily put anybody within hearing vicinity to sleep by singing. The only problem is, it puts to sleep everyone that hears it, aside from the singer them self. This puts her allies in trouble. Usually when someone from the Starr family is used put riots to rest, their allies have to use high quality earplugs to keep their voices out," Alaric enlightened me. I nodded in understanding.

"They seem like they would be helpful. In that case, we could put them asleep, slip in, take my necklace, and slip back out," I stated, shrugging my shoulders.

"It does seem that simple, doesn't it?" Cynric muttered to himself. "Well, where is the Starr family located?" Alaric paused briefly like he couldn't remember, his hand resting onto his chin.

"They're in Hawaii, if I remember right. Yeah, Bruce moved his family there within the last couple of years." Alaric nodded in finality. He went silent again, before turning towards us once again.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Get going to Hawaii!"