Communities

(Chapter 14: Communities)

"Huh?" I repeated louder, stepping away. He looked over his shoulder, sending me a sheepish smile.

"Yeah... All Magicka comes with a price," he stated, swinging his finger around as if reciting a lesson drilled into his head. "The Slipht Magicka is revealing any secret at the expense of being forced to tell a secret equally taxing of your own." I glanced over at Cynric. He had just recently used his ability on me, what was his penalty?

"Drug dealing? All the more reason to not have Ariadne involved with you," Cynric sneered. Leander turned towards him, a snarl resting on his lips. I stepped between them, staring up at Leander.

"What do you sell?" I asked. Leander looked down in confusion and shock. "I mean, if that's okay to ask. I don't know much about drugs at all..." I drifted off, scratching the back of my neck.

"I deal Wolfsbane. It's like pot but for our kind. It's the only drug that works on us. I sell for about twenty dollars a gram." I nodded along, not really knowing if that was expensive or not. He gave me an odd look.

"You seem to be accepting this fairly well." I shrugged.

"Everyone comes from different walks of life. There's a reason for why people do what they do. I have no place to judge you for a choice you chose. I am a judge free person. Scout's honor," I said, raising my fingers in salute. "Plus I don't know anything about that life, so it's cool to hear about. I'm sure you have many connections." He nodded his head.

"Speaking of connections... I know someone who deals with enchanted jewelry. Maybe he'll know something about your necklace?" I felt excitement swell in my stomach and chest. A large smile broke across my face.

"Do you think he could help us? This did happen awhile ago. Would he know anything about it?"

"There is no way. This happened over a decade ago. I highly doubt he would had been in the black market at that age," Cynric countered, glaring over to Leander. I hit Cynric's shoulder lightly, silently telling him to not pick fights. Leander glared back at him.

"Theo is in his mid thirties. So yes, Nanik, he would have records and would have been in the business back then." He passed by us, walking out of the bathroom. "I'm going to go put a shirt on, and then we can head for Lycan Village. Meet me by the front door."

With Leander out of sight, Cynric grabbed my hand, yanking me down the hall.

"We should not have done this. Why did I let you talk me into this? This was a bad idea! We should not get Leander Slipht involved in this situation." Cynric turned to me, stopping us completely. He grabbed my shoulders. "We know where he is. We know his name. We can just go to Lycan Village and ask around for a Theo." I gave Cynric a look, gently tugging his hands off my shoulders.

"Cynric, you know they're in a shady line of business. Theo wouldn't answer the door to two strangers, much less Purebloods. It's suspicious. We need Leander as a means to get in to see Theo. We are not just going to ditch him!" I reasoned, trying to get my determination across with the sturdy look I gave him. He grumbled in response, turning around to keep on his way.

"Hey, by the way," I started, catching up to be in step with Cynric. "Leander brought up penalties for Magicka... What is your family's price to pay for using your powers?" Cynric glanced over at me before shrugging.

"We do not really know. My family just knows that no one comes out the same afterwards." I frowned, wondering what their punishment was.

Soon afterwards, we arrived at the front door. Leander was already there, leaning against the wall, his hands stuffed into his pockets as he stared out the window. When we entered the room, Leander turned towards us.