Chapter 28: The Final Choice

Start from the beginning

"What?" I groaned.

"Get up." I opened my eyes and saw Blaine looking over me. "Dimitri wants you both for breakfast."

I groaned again and rolled out of bed. "Thanks Blaine." I smiled at him.

"Are you okay?" He arched an eyebrow.

"Perfectly happy. Why?" I replied, still smiling.

"It's just that..." He flicked his hair out of his eyes. "I don't think I've seen you smile in a while." He returned my smile with a small one of it's own. "It's cute."

I chuckled. "Thanks." I watched as he walked out the door with that lazy smile of his. Looking over at Dylan, I grabbed his shoulder and shook it. "Up." I said. I threw back his covers. "Food time."

His eyes snapped open and his head snapped up. "Food?"

"God, you are such a guy." I slipped on my leather jacket, a gift from Dimitri from a few weeks ago. "Let's go. He's waiting for us." I grabbed my boots before walking out the door.

Making my way to the dining room, I could hear Dimitri talking.

"...one of them has to go. We cannot keep them here forever." He paused. I pushed with my wolf-hearing and could hear small, almost silent whispers from someone.

"Yes, but when can they leave?" I heard him sit down. I pressed my back against the wall. "Yes, sir... Nothing at all." I heard him slap a phone shut.

Oh. So he was on the phone. But who with? And does he have more power than Dimitri? He called him 'sir'...

"You can come out now. I know you there, Chloe." I heard him say. The mention on my name made me jump and my cheeks heat up. I slowly made my way around the corner. I stood there, waiting for him to talk. "I know you have questions. I can see them." He leaned back in his chair. "Go ahead and ask them."

"You're not really in charge here are you?" I arched my eye brow. "You're just a pawn, aren't you? There's someone tell you what to do. Someone with more power than you."

"Indeed there is." He said. His voice was calm, but you could tell he was irritated by the statment. His eye brow twitched along with the right corner of his mouth.

"You don't like him either. Do you? It eats you alive that he has more power than you." I walked to the table and pressed my hands down on it, thinking out loud. He stayed silent. "What's his name? Maybe I know him." I smirked.

"You don't know him. No one does."

"Obviously people do." I pointed out. "How do you know I don't know him. He could be my neighbor."

He glared at me. "You don't know him." Dimitri spoke through his teeth.

"You don't want to keep us here, do you? That's why you keep giving us all these gifts." I pulled the edge of my jacket. "He just wants you to keep collecting data and more date. But why? Is he really gonna kill one of us? Is one of us really not gonna make it out of here? You can let us out right?"

He blinked. "I'm not sure what you're asking me."

"Will we both get out of here? And when?" I said slowly, enunciating every word.

"Possibly. Soon." He smiled slightly.

I smiled as sweetly as I could. From what 'data' I've gathered, Dimitri is very easy to catch off guard. I sprinted to behind him and slid my arm across his throat so if I held and tightened long enough, he'd die.

"You're going to let us go. Both of us. Now." I said low.

He struggled, shaking the chair and his neck. "I'm not," He tried pulling on my arms. "Allowed."