Chapter 12

Because of the intermittent earthquakes and the heavy rainfall, I cannot adjust my posture. 

"Ugh..." Though not as bad as me, who is staggering, Kaito is also having a hard time to step forward. 

That is not the only reason, either... He is hesitating to wield his usual power because he is fighting me. Because he is still trying to save me... 

"Sorry, Kaito..." Murmuring so, I kick the ground with all my might. "Yaah!" Lowering my body, I slip under Kaito's upper body and swing  my short sword upwards. Kaito parries off my sword with his, and jumps back largely to take a distance from me. "Kaito... fight with me seriously, or you won't be able to beat me." 

"My goal is not to beat you, but to go home with everyone alive!" My chest feels tight by seeing a sincere look on Kaito's face. 

I wish I could go home with everyone, too... I still have so many things I want to do. I haven't had a chance to return the favor to my parents for nurturing me so far... I wish I could taste the Autumn Village cuisine again with Kaito and Shiroya. Now that I think of it, I still have to receive that traditional dress. Back then, I wasn't aware of my feelings toward Kaito yet... I wish I could dress up with that dress Kaito bought me, and walk on the streets with him...

Dreaming of hopeless wishes, I break into a wry smile.

I am the one who is obstructing my wishes... What a terrible girlfriend I am... for having my dearest person take on a cruel task... 

"I hope you will go back home alive..."

"[Y/N], I beg you. Please don't give up... I'll promise I will find a way to save you." 

"It's not that I have given up. I am just trying to choose the best solution in this given situation. Fight me, Kaito! If you want to stop me, then you'll have to beat me!" Shouting so, I close in on Kaito again. In a flash, I let out my short sword, and it grazes past Kaito's hand.

"Ow...!" 

"Come on! Put your whole heart into it!" 

"You...!" Unlike a minute ago, when he was focusing on defense, Kaito gets within a sword's reach and swings his weapon upwards. 

He is still not fighting with all his might.

I thrust my sword sideways, and flick his blade to change its course. 

"No...!" Kaito shifts his attention to my short sword for a moment. 

Now's the chance...! 

Without failing to catch the small niche of time, I throw the Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven towards Kaito. 

"What the-!?" Perhaps not being able to understand the situation immediately, Kaito catches the Sword I threw at him, and looks down at it. "What's this..." Kaito is distracted by the Sword. I have thrown the Sword so it would point towards me. The ill-omened Sword, which has fully blackened, absorbing plenty of negative feelings, is now pointing at me.

Goodbye, everyone. Goodbye, Kaito... I will always be with you... 

I kick the ground, and start to dash towards the Sword. 

This was my intention from the beginning. I challenged a fight to Kaito in order for him to hold the Sword. Kaito doesn't have to want to kill me, as long as I have a strong will to be killed. Then Yamato Island... and everyone will be saved! 

The tip of the Sword almost pierces my chest... but then... 

"Never!" Coming back to his senses, Kaito seems to understand my intention finally. Kaito draws the Sword back with his usual quickness and reflexes, and makes a large flame that envelopes him.