Chapter 5

Everybody looks at Kaito, who has suddenly suggested us that we should go to the Summer Village first.

"Why?" I ask. "As Rindoh said, it's faster to go to the Spring Village from here than to the Summer Village."

"That's right, Kaito." Shiroya says. "We should just go straight to the Spring Village."

"I cannot believe it." Kikyo says. "Why do we have to take a roundabout way? Has the winter cold gotten to that little brain of yours?"

"Kikyo, stop it." Rindoh tells him. "You must have some reason for it, right, Kaito? Tell us."

"I know it's a selfish favor to ask, but it's what I was thinking about all night long." Kaito explains. "We've finished purifying the symbols of the first two villages. We are half way through the journey now. The pollution in the Autumn and the Winter Villages weren't that bad, but I'm sure it's going to get worse in the next two villages. And I questioned myself if it was okay for me to stay the way I am now. And the answer is that I don't think the ability I have now is enough to protect [Y/N] from the dangers we might face in the last half of the journey. So, I want to to go back to the Summer Village first, and do some training there."

"Kaito!" I cry out.

"Did the match you had with Kikyo make you think so?" Rindoh asks him. "I've told you before that your power is way beyond everyone else's. You just gotta learn how to use it."

"No, I can't stay like this forever. I need to be stronger..."

"I want to... I want to become stronger... to protect you from whatever might harm you. I'm going to be a better ninja than Lord Enya."

As I recall Kaito's words from last night, I feel a dull pain in my heart.

Kaito knew that everyone would preach him down. Even so, he is trying to get stronger for me...

"I beg you. Let us go to the Summer Village first."

"Kaito, I..."

"What on earth are you talking about?" Kikyo says. "We have no leisure time for your training!"

"Kikyo, calm down." Rindoh tells him.

"But...!"

"I'm with Kaito." Shiroya says. "I know that we don't have so much time to spare, but, if Kaito is going to get stronger, I don't think it's such a bad idea to go a little long way round."

"Shiroya..." Kaito says.

"What do you think, Rindoh?" Kikyo asks him.

"Me? Well, if Kaito wants to get stronger with a will to improve himself, I wanna support him."

"Mr. Rin!" Kaito exclaims.

"I thought you would have at least made a wiser decision, Rindoh!" Kikyo cries.

"But Kaito, do we really have to go back to the Summer Village for it?"

"Well..."

"There should be tons of tough guys in the Spring Village, too. Ask Yayoi to practice with you. He may look like a literature freak, but he's pretty tough."

"I know Yayoi's strong. But the Spring Village won't do. I need to be strong... stronger than my ancestor. That's why I have to do it in the Summer Village. The Vermillion Bird school ninjas know a lot about Lord Enya. And, I want to know more about this stone." Saying so, Kaito shows us the red stone buried in the back of his hand.

"What's that? Has it been there all the time?"

"Yeah, since I was born. My father told me not to show it to people that much, so I usually keep it hidden."