Chapter 9

If I'm not killed by the Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven by my coming-of-age day, the world will be destroyed... And I need to be killed by a descendant of one of the ninjas whom Lady [Y/N] the First had formed an emotional bond with, and the one I love...? 

I look up at Kaito. Kaito stares back at me. 

The one whom I care about the most... There is no one else but Kaito...! 

"I have to kill [Y/N]...?" 

"Charged by the impurity, the Sword will turn to an instrument to fulfill the curse. Once the Sword becomes the instrument, anyone, not only [Y/N], will be able to wield it. Because it will no longer be the original Sword..." 

"Kaito, the following sentence in the scroll... after 'Except'..." 

"Yeah, it must have talked about this..." 

"Oh no...! And we thought it explained how to break the curse!?" Shiroya exclaims. 

"So no matter how hard we try, [Y/N] has to die to save the island...?" Ran says. 

"Lady [Y/N] the First." Kaito says. 

"Yes?"  

"Isn't there... any other way to break the curse?" 

"I am sorry, but I have no answer to the problem, either. I wish my descendant, [Y/N], would not have to die if it were all possible. When I was still alive, my fellow ninjas and I searched for ways to break the curse. However, in our life time... we could not find anything." 

"Darn it!" 

"Even Lady [Y/N] the First could not find another way..." Shiroya says. 

Everyone hangs his and her head down in despair. 

"However..." Lady [Y/N] the First continues. "With all of you together, you might be able to find it." 

"Lady [Y/N] the First..." I say. 

"Please... do not give up on it until the end. And please... save my dear descendant... [Y/N]." 

"Yes... We intend to." Kaito says. 

"Kaito..." Though I, and everyone else are slowly giving up on it... Kaito still has his head up. He hasn't given up on me yet... 

With a faint, content smile on her face, Lady [Y/N] the First turns her gaze to Kaito.  

"Are you a descendant of Lord [Y/N]?" she asks. 

"Wha-!? How did you know? Do I look like Lord Enya?" 

"I don't think so..." I say. 

She chuckles. "I do no think you look like Lord Enya very much, either. But, your attitude of looking straight ahead and never giving up... perhaps resembles to that of Lord Enya. Lord Enya was just like you." 

I can tell that Lady [Y/N] the First and Lord Enya had great trust in each other... 

"[Y/N]..." 

"Yes, madam." 

"I am... truly sorry for having you put in this situation." 

"Please do not be sorry... It is not your fault." 

"I have been regretting not being able to set you free from the curse. But, I believe you and your fellow ninjas can fight against your destiny and change it..." 

The instant she finishes saying so, a bright light envelopes our surroundings. I keep my eyes closed tightly, and wait for the light to fade away. As I open my eyes timidly...