Chapter 1

[Please note: Please read the prologue first before reading this story.]

"The person I choose to accompany me is..."

Saying so, I looked around everyone's faces. Just then, my eyes met with Kaito's, who is looking at me intently.

Kaito...

Enticed by his strong-willed eyes, I walked towards Kaito.

I have a feeling that I have to choose Kaito as my partner. I somehow feel that I can fully trust Kaito...

"Are you... choosing me?" Kaito says.

"Yes." I answer him. "I'm counting on you, Kaito!" I hold out my hand to Kaito, and he grasps it with a smile on his face.

"What on earth made you choose Kaito?" Yayoi questions me. "Have a second thought about it, [Y/N]. You'd better not take such a country-bred with you."

"...What the-"

"Yayoi..." I said softly, cutting Kaito off.

"Stop it, Yayoi." Ayu says. "Please respect [Y/N]'s decision."

"You bastard!" Ran exclaims. "Listen! You weren't chosen, so stop complaining about it already!"

"I'm not complaining. I'm just talking about the fact." Yayoi says.

"Hey, don't make a fool out of Kaito!" Shiroya shouts, defending his fellow villager.

"Hey kids. Cut it out already, alright?" Rindoh says.

Ahh... not again...

Smiling wryly, I turn to face Yayoi. "Yayoi... and everyone, please listen to me carefully. Kaito is the most talented ninja among all of you, alright? Whether he is from countryside or not really doesn't matter to me."

I have chosen Kaito with my gut feeling, but Yayoi would accept my decision more easily if I tell him that I've chosen Kaito because of his talent. Everyone knows that Kaito has outstanding ninja skills and abilities.

Just as I'd expected, Yayoi agrees with me reluctantly.

I know I shouldn't have persuaded him like that. I wish I could explain him in a better way, but when it comes to a debate, I'm not match for him.

"All right. I'm set, aren't I?" Kaito tells me.

"Yeah. And I have to choose three more..."

"If Kaito is going, I'm going, too!" With that, Shiroya jumps onto Kaito's back.

"Whoa! S-Stop it, Shiroya!"

"Please, [Y/N]! I want to go with you!"

"Sure. It's reassuring to have you with us." I said to him.

"I will accompany you, too." Kikyo says all of a sudden.

"...Kikyo?"

Kikyo slowly stands up and comes in front of me. "I think it is too risky to only depend on an inherited ability."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I am not sure if he is good enough to protect you just because he has a famous ancestor."

"Hey, watch you mouth." Kaito tells Kikyo.

"You thought what I said was right, too, did you not? Please stop snapping at me just because you are embarrassed." Kaito and Kikyo glare at each other fiercely as if they were going to start a fight at any moment.

"H-Hey! Don't start fighting now!" I yell to the two ninjas.

"Stay back, [Y/N]. I've always had a feeling I don't like him." Kaito warns me.