Chapter 23

JAMES

Martha and I have been showing as much love as we could to Tyler since the day we brought him home from the hospital. Yes, having a child had its benefits and its downsides. We thought raising a child would be easy, but that was when we were young. We're moving onto our forties and raising a six-year-old child. I had just turned forty and Martha had turn thirty-six. We may still be young but we were growing fast.

We love Tyler more than anything but raising a child was definitely not easy.

It was Sunday. We went to church every Sunday, even after Tyler was born. We went every week.

"Get a move on!" I called out. Tyler and Martha were still inside and I was about to step in the car. "We don't want to be late!"

Martha soon rushed out of the house with Tyler holding her hand. She quickly shut the door and the both of them hurried to the car.

"We're coming, Jamison! Hold your horses!" Martha called back. I knew she was mad or telling me to do something when she called me that. That wasn't even my name anymore.

"Don't call me that," I said. She rushed over to me and kissed my lips before getting in the car. I opened the back door for Tyler to get in. I ruffled his hair as he climbed in, making sure he was seated and buckled before shutting the door and getting myself into the car.

We made it to the church right as the final people entered and right before the doors shut. We took our usual seats in the middle of the church. With Tyler sitting between Martha and I.

Afterward, we got to talking to other church goers as Tyler ran around with some other boys his age.

"Wow. Tyler is getting so big," One of our long time family friends, Lisa Rodriquez said as she watched Tyler run around. "He's going to be as tall as you soon, James."

Martha and I laughed. "Probably in just a few short years."

Martha laughed and wrapped her arm around mine. "Tyler is so lucky that he doesn't get his height from me."

"Yeah, you're pretty short." I leaned down and gave her a kiss.

Lisa looked at us. "Now, how long have y'all been together?"

"I believe seventeen years," I answered.

"I wish most married couples were like you two. Lilly said that she and Trevon have been having problems lately. They love each other dearly but they never make time for themselves anymore."

I held onto Martha. "I don't think we'll have a problem with that."

Lisa nodded with a smile. "I sure hope of it. If your marriage lasted this long, I have a strong feeling that you'll be together for the rest of your lives."

"Thank you," Martha said before Lisa left them. "Tyler!" Martha's Italian accent still strong called throughout the lot. "Time to go home!"

Tyler ran over to us and instantly held Martha's hand so we could lead him to the car. Most cars have already left but because he was our only son we were overprotective like any parents would be with their young child.

***

That afternoon, we went on our usual Sunday family picnic near the lake in our backyard. We did as much as we could as a family. It was so small and fragile that we tried so hard not to break it. We would eat and swim on these lovely evenings. Sunday was Tyler's favorite day of the week. And today was like any other.

"Can we go swimming before lunch today?" Tyler asked us as we set out the blanket and picnic basket.

"Well, have you been well behaved today?" I asked him innocently.

Martha laughed. "Oh, come on, Jamison." She called me that just to annoy me half the time. Even though I got it changed years ago it was still out there as a memory and to my parents it was still my name. "He's always well behaved. How about we go for a swim and then have lunch?"

Tyler nodded. "Yeah!" He cheered and ran towards the water to the short boardwalk, ready to jump in.

I laughed and ran after him, picking him up causing him to scream. "You know you have to wait for us first."

I placed him down on the wood. "Sorry."

I took off my shirt and pants so I was in my swim trunks. "Okay, we can go in now!"

"Yes!"

I picked him up and ran him down the walk, diving us both into the water. We came up and I continued holding him so he wouldn't fall down deep.

Marth laughed. "How many times do I have to tell you not to do that, Jamison? You're going to kill both you and our son."

I hugged Tyler close to my body. "Come on, sweetheart. Live for adventure!"

"Yeah, mommy! Live for adventure!" Tyler repeated me.

Martha laughed. "I'm getting pretty old for adventure."

"Oh!" Tyler and I cooed.

"Come on, Martha! I'm four years older than you!"

Martha kept laughing. "Should I jump in, Tyler?"

Tyler nodded excitedly. "Yeah! Come on, mom!"

"Oh, might as well." She lifted the dress she was wearing over her head to reveal her swimsuit.

"Woah. Watch out! Here comes the wave!" I called out making Tyler laugh. I swam both I and him over to the side as Martha ran down the deck, laughing as she jumped in.

I let go of Tyler and let him swim around as I went under the water, swimming towards Martha, and surprising her when I grabbed her legs and went up.

Martha laughed and lightly slapped me. "You are so mean!"

"You love me too much to say that." I laughed before smiling at her, bringing her in for a kiss, her arms around my neck, my arms on her hips.

"Mom and daddy sitting in a tree," Tyler mocked.

I laughed and let go of Martha, swimming over to Tyler and wrapping him in my arms. "You're six, that is so five."

Tyler laughed and started climbing on me, Martha quickly joining in with Tyler's antics.

This was a family. Our family might be small and we might have babied Tyler but we would risk everything for this boy. Our family just proved that small families are as great as big ones. We loved him and we will continue to love him for the rest of our lives.