Chapter 9

IAN

"Morning, Dad." Ian said to his Dad when he walked into the kitchen early the morning after his evening with Liana. He walked to the fridge and grabbed milk and some eggs to boil.

"Morning, Ian." His Dad greeted as Ian walked over to the stove and began cooking. His Dad was washing some dishes from the day before and has already made himself breakfast. "How was the race yesterday? You came home kind of late last night."

Ian rubbed his eye. "Yeah. Sorry. It was great. I won."

He looked over at Ian. "That's great. Why'd you come home so late is the question though?"

Ian smiled as he reached over to turn the stove burners on. "Afterwards, there was this party on one of my friend's ranches."

Ian's Dad poured himself some coffee and then sat down at the table with his coffee and newspaper. "I don't think an after party would last until the late hours of the night though."

"You want some eggs?" Ian asked his Dad, not looking at him. He was totally oblivious to everything around him by choice.

"Yeah." Ian's Dad said. "Now back to the real questions. Where were you last night?"

Ian sighed and cracked some eggs onto the frying pan along with milk, not looking at his father. "Do you need to know every detail of my life?"

"It's called parenting." He said and took a sip of coffee. "Were you with a girl?" Ian smiled, staying silent. "Ian?"

Ian nodded and shrugged. "I guess you could say that."

"I thought you were more responsible than this."

Ian moved the spatula around the pan. "What are you talking about?" Ian was silent before he came to the realization of what his Dad was talking about. He turned the stove off and put down the spatula before turning to his father with a chuckle. "Are you serious?"

His Dad nodded. "I am. I don't want my 21-year-old son to regret anything."

Ian crossed his legs, tapping his foot. "I just met her. We just talked."

"You sure of that?"

Ian nodded and turned around, putting eggs on two plates before walking over to the table and sitting across from his Dad. "I would never do anything to a girl I just met."

His Dad took a long bite of his eggs before talking. "So, you met a girl?" He smiled at Ian.

Ian chuckled with a smile and took a bite of his eggs. "Yeah."

"What's she like?"

Ian thought for a moment. "She's not like most girls. She's something special."

His Dad nodded. "Better keep a sharp eye on that one."

Ian chuckled again. "I guarantee I will."

"I would like to meet her sometime."

Ian nodded. "You'd like her."

His Dad nodded before changing the subject. "We are working on that shed today. Make sure you're ready for it."

Ian nodded. "Okay, Dad."

His Dad grabbed his finished up plate and stood up. "That's my good boy."

Ian turned in his seat to his Dad. "I'm not a boy anymore."

His Dad placed his dish in the sink and turned to him. "You'll always be my little boy."

Ian smiled. "Thanks Dad."