Chapter 7

LIANA

"I don't want us to stay out too late." Liana said as her friends and she pulled their car into the parking lot outside the stadium. "I want to see my Grandpa before it gets too dark.

"Will you quit your whining?" JJ said sitting beside Liana in the backseat.

"Yeah." Liana said. "If you promise that I can go see my Grandpa before it gets too dark."

Macy groaned from the driver's seat. "We'll get you home by six."

"Thank you. That's all I want to hear."

Macy pulled into the closest parking spot she could find, all the girls getting out and walking into the stadium to find some seats.

"What exactly am I in for here?' Liana asked as they took front row seats.

"It's pretty much like every race." JJ said beside her. JJ suddenly grabbed Liana's arm as she looked to her other side, facing away from Liana.

"JJ, what is it?" Liana said trying to rid JJ's grip. "That's a tight grip you got there."

JJ turned back towards Liana and the other girls. "We got the perfect view of the riders."

The other girls turned to where JJ was looking. They did have a perfect view at the riders. They were right down near the preparation station and stabble. Riders were already there setting up their horses in the pens.

"They're pretty good looking." Macy said, grinning.

"Look at number 12." JJ said, leaning into Liana and pointing a small finger towards the stables. "He's pretty cute."

Liana looked in the direction of her finger and found him. He was tall but not too tall, his brown hair looking like he has been practicing hours in advance, and his eyes hidden by a pair of black sunglasses. Liana knew she had seen him before. And it took her only a minute to realize from where.

"He's the guy we drove pass." Liana pointed out.

JJ took a closer look and noticed it too. "Oh my God. He is a rider." She turned back to Liana. "We knew it."

The stands soon filled up but they were not crowded. There had to be only around 100 people all around the outdoor stadium.

"Welcome to our town's annual yearly horse race." The announcer echoed through the speakers. "We got some great riders for you today!" The whole crowd cheered, getting excited. "First up we have Travis Carter who won our race last year and the year before. He has won champs and states. One of the best in the state. Next we have four time medalist, Mark Stats. And finally we have our comeback racer, Ian Donahue. This is his first race after leaving several months ago due to injury and family troubles. We are glad to say he is well and back on his feet. Ian has won states and annuals in the last four years several times. Let's give a hand to our first racers!" The crowd cheered and clapped as the racers started guiding their horse to their starting line. They all hopped on to their horses and got in to their racing stance.

"Go!" The referee said from the sidelines. The racers started running. The crowd cheering for their favorite. Liana's friends all cheered on Ian as Liana didn't know who to cheer for so she basically just sat beside her friends, clapping and watching as the race went on.

"God, he's really good." JJ said over the noise to Liana.

"He is."

The racers soon crossed the line. Everyone cheered when Ian crossed the line first. Liana's friends were screaming and cheering and clapping. Liana wasn't being as aggressive.