Chapter Nineteen

Börja om från början

But I was older now and not as stupid. I had my moments, but most of the time I had a good head on my shoulders. I didn't like being told what to do.

And I also didn't like being killed by my brother.

I suddenly felt trapped. If I stood up to Cain, he'd get angry and his words would sting me, even when I didn't want them to. If I didn't stand up to him, he'd make me miserable by bossing me around. It only made me want to talk to Jahlia even more. She'd help me. She'd know just what to say to solve this whole thing.

"What're you thinking about?" Cain asked, making me blink and look up to see him frowning at me.

"Nothing," I replied automatically, then shifted a little uncomfortably, "Can we do something else for a little bit? Maybe we just need to take a break from this for a few hours." Cain paused at that, then nodded slowly, setting his pen down and getting up. I sighed in relief and got to my feet. Cain came over and took my hand. I noticed he did that a lot. That or grabbing me around the waist. At first, it felt nice. I felt like our fingers were meant to be laced together like this, or his arm was meant to support my back. Now I was getting an odd tingling sensation in my back.

We walked out of his office and went to the kitchen where Cain proceeded to make dinner.

This, granted, was very new. In the past, Cain would never make himself something to eat. He didn't feel the need, especially since Hades was tossing servants at him and Cain had never had servants before, so he used them to their fullest extent.

Now Cain was making some interesting looking Greek dish.

"I didn't know you could cook." I said after a while, sitting at the nearby counter, elbows on the table, head in my heads. Cain shrugged, pouring olive oil over the food in the pan, his other hand pushing the pan back and forth so the contents inside sizzled and released the rich herbal scents of a fresh Greek dish.

"I figured I'd learn something while I was doing absolutely nothing," He said dryly, "I got bored and kicking Hannibal in the face got boring. I should've probably kept doing it." I grimaced.

"Yeah, well, that's probably what's gonna fuel him to attack you." I pointed out. Cain mirrored my grimace at that as he shut off the stove and poured the wet meals into two seperate bowls. The bowl was mostly to contain the amount of oil in it. He got out a bag of peta bread and gestured me to follow him out of the kitchen and down the hall to the den.

"To be honest," He drawled, plopping down on the sofa, "I think he actually liked it. That's what made him creepy, but effective." I frowned, sitting down beside him with my legs folded, bowl resting on one knee and my peta bread on the other.

"Liked it? You think he got off on you hurting him? Like a masochist?" I asked, shuddering at the thought. That's just what we needed. Someone who actually liked the crap beaten out of him.

"Why did you do it if you knew he liked it?" I asked. Cain paused, cocking his head before he ripped into a piece of bread, chewing it up with a mouthful of lamb from the bowl.

"Dunno. I liked hurting him." He smirked before taking another bite of food. A chill went through me at that and I stared at him until he seemed to realize I was staring at him. I looked away when he turned his head to look at me. As soon as I looked away, I used my powers to turn the television on.

We were quiet for a while, eating and making occasional comments under our breathes about the show. That was one thing Cain and I had in common. We couldn't shut up watching movies or television shows. We always had a comment, which made watching movies with others nearly impossible when we were constantly talking. Good thing my brothers all hated each other, otherwise, movie nights would be a big no-no.