Chapter 24: Insight (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"She's sweet and she'd be good for you. I can tell. You understand each other. Don't worry about what I might think. I want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy. And besides, she saved your life. And our children's lives. She's earned major brownie points in my book."

"Yeah, but I don't think I'm ready. Not the way she needs."

"I think she realizes that. She'll wait, don't worry."

"How do you know that?"

"C'mon, Chris! Are you that blind? She's in love with you. She listens to every word you say. She doesn't miss a single facial expression or tone in your voice. And it's been that way ever since she wrapped up your hand, the first time, back in Pyxis!"

"That early?"

"Yes, that early," Alana droned mockingly. "And from that day on, she's looked at you as if there's no doubt in her mind. Chris, I might be your past, but she's. . ."

Chris shrugged. "The future."

"Maybe," Alana said with wistful optimism as if she really meant yes.

But the more Chris thought about it, the less sense it made. Why me? "It's still so hard to believe. I made such a lousy first impression and was such a mess. I don't even think I was capable of being nice to her for at least a few days."

"She loves you! She's a fairy princess with a dark past, on the brink of maturity, who has craved practically since the day she was born the love of a strong, handsome, yet sensitive prince. Do you catch my drift, or would you like me to draw you a flow chart?" Alana asked with her trademark sideways glance.

"No, I get it. But what about Joe? He was all 'love at first sight' over her, and he's usually much more cautious and calculating. And all this time, I thought Cassie would choose him. Until recently, I might have been okay with that. I mean, he's good at everything. Always has been. He flirted with her, endlessly, until he got a whiff that I was interested. Joe might not believe this, but I never meant to deceive him . . . or hurt him. Things just happened, and for whatever reason, she made her choice. I can't exactly be with her, though, if he's going to hate me forever."

"If you steal her away, he'll resent you, no question. He's not as perfect as you think and has many of his own insecurities. Exactly how upset he will be and for how long? I couldn't tell you. He has his own tough choices to make."

Chris then remembered again Andromeda's prediction. She'll unravel you, and your brother, and lead you to your demise.

There were so many things Chris wanted to tell Alana, but he needed insight more than anything else. "Andromeda," he stated as if one word could say it all. "Cassie's going to 'unravel' us? Why did the queen say that? And how true were her words?"

"She's the queen of manipulation and is only right if you let her be. Whether or not Joe gets 'unraveled' depends on him."

"I suppose, but it really messed with my head—and continues to." Chris shook that messed-up head of his, and it just jumbled disorder into more chaos. He couldn't talk about his problems any longer or he was going to implode. So, he turned to his wife. He was pleased she looked content. "What about you? How are you adjusting to your new existence? I see you've finally found your wings."

"Yeah, how do you like them?" She twisted them in his direction.

Shimmery white, pristine, sturdy, capable. . . "They're nice and they suit you. I wish you were still around. You could be our secret weapon. The ultimate Royal Modifier—ready to kick some fairy ass!"

"Is that the only reason you want me around?" she asked, sounding uncharacteristically vulnerable.

"No. I miss you." He put his arm around her neck and kissed her temple. "You were my best friend and, at times, my only friend. And I'm sorry I was pulling away from you . . . for a while. I was too selfish to realize that you were also going through a difficult time. You had every right to be frustrated."

"I'm sorry, too. I should have been more patient. I should have accepted that you deal with your problems differently than I do."

"I was just trying to protect you."

"And who was supposed to protect you?"

He shrugged and his eyes fell, heavy with sadness. The last few months they had been together, he had taken her for granted. He wasn't much help, he wasn't much company, and he wasn't passionate about anything. Yes, his mother had died, and he essentially lost his brother and father too, but he had still been living. He had his own family. Though he never "disappeared" like Scott had, he found a way to vanish in plain sight.

Unexpectedly, Alana pushed his head to the side and ruffled his hair. She brought back a hint of cheer.

Chris smiled at her and said, "So, since you're here, do you want to fool around for old times' sake?"

"Sorry, hon. As much as I can tell you need some, this is not that kind of dream."

"Dammit! I thought I'd ask, just in case . . ."

"Chris?"

"Yeah?"

"I have to go now."

"What? Why? Please stay. You just got here! There is so much more to talk about. I don't think I can do any of this alone!"

"Yes, you can. Try to pull yourself together." She rose from her seat and hovered into flight. "Things are only going to get more difficult. The war has only just begun. You need to stay strong and stay focused. You will definitely be tested in ways you never thought possible."

He sprang to his feet as she gained more distance. "What things are going to get more difficult? Tested how? I don't understand! Please give me some clue!" His voice rang with so much desperation he sounded like someone else.

"Chris, I love you," Alana said as she flew backward into a halo of light, "you may not see me, but I will always be around if you need me."

"Wait! Alana!" he shouted. Chris began to run after her, but she vanished like mist in the sun. "I love . . . you . . . too. . ." he called out, his voice tapering off. He realized, once again, that he was brutally alone.

He plodded around looking for her, wishing he were faster, lighter, and that he too had wings. But his feet kept getting tangled in vines, weeds, and nettles. The harder he struggled, the darker and more malignant the plants became. First his ankles, then his wrists, and at last, he was tugged to the ground by the waist.

Just before he crashed in the mud, Chris's eyes snapped open.

END OF PART III

How was it? Was Part III everything you hoped for? 

What has been your favorite Part so far? Pyxis (beginning/Part I), real world (Part II), or Hawaii (Part III)? And why?

⭐️⭐️⭐️

My Darkest Days. Perfect.

~

"I shouldn't have fallen in love with her.

It's been nothing but trouble till now.

I shouldn't have fallen in love at all,

But I couldn't stop myself.

Who gives you the right,

To tear up my life?"