07; shades of grey

There were some things in life that Rachel refused to believe.

The possibility of her sister killing someone was one of those things.

Scott had ended up directing Argent to a public pool, where the place was far more busy than it should have been after midnight. The small parking lot was crowded with police cars, an ambulance & a coroner— the blue & red flashing lights were visible from almost a block away. Rachel knew the moment she saw all the commotion, but like an array of other things in life, she refused to believe it.

Even when she'd rolled down the window & listened to the police talking, then to Scott telling Argent exactly what had been told to him. A body had been found— head bashed in, strangled, throat slit. There were so many possible causes of death, they couldn't tell which had been the one to actually end his life. She still refused to believe that it had been her sister (or Boyd— even if he was going to kill two little kids, she didn't believe he would do this). She didn't believe any werewolf aside from the psychotic, power-high alphas would do something as horrific as this.

It seemed she was the only one who cared about whether or not they did it.

The murder had been enough to convince Argent to help them catch the two betas (without killing them, Rachel had been sure to clarify). He didn't appear to care all that much about the details— how un-supernatural the murder had been. No claw marks, no bites; not even a trail of blood leading from the scene. Someone was dead, and someone had killed them, and Argent only cared about getting the people he believed to be guilty out of the woods so no one else would suffer the same fate.

"Have you been tracking them by print?" The former hunter questioned the group of werewolves, dropping a duffel bag of non-lethal weapons on the forest floor. They'd gathered in the preserve to devise a plan of action for catching Cora & Boyd.

Scott nodded. "Trying to."

"Well, then, you've been wasting your time." Argent informed him. "There's only one creature on earth that can visually track footprints, and that's man. And if you're not trained like me, you have no idea that this print is Boyd's and these.."

"Are Cora's?" Isaac questioned, leaning against a tree. He looked bored.

"Nope. They're yours. You trampled Cora's as soon as you walked over here." He deadpanned. "Listen, I know the three of you are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon, but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora, who have fully given in. They put the pedal to the floor where you four are barely hitting the speed limit."

"So what do we do?" Derek sighed, still not seeming to be a hundred percent on board with the (former) hunter assisting them. He didn't trust him, and neither did Rachel, but both siblings knew well enough to keep that to themselves. He was helping, and right now, they needed all the help they could get.

"Focus on your sense of smell. Actual wolves are known to track their prey by up to a hundred miles a day by scent. A trained hunter can use scent to track them. If the wind is with them, wolves can track a scent by a distance of two miles, which means we can draw them to us.. Or into a trap. Full moon does give us one advantage. They'll have a higher heat signature, which makes them easier to spot with infrared." Argent elucidated, kneeling down & retrieving a strange-looking pair of binoculars from the duffel bag at his feet.

"Thanks, but I've got my own." Derek said, his eyes glowing a bright red for a few seconds before fading back to normal.

"Just remember, we're not hunting wild animals. Underneath those impulses are two intelligent human beings. Don't think they can't rely on that human side. It's suppressed, but it's there, reminding them how to mask their scent, how to cover their tracks, how to survive." Argent continued, turning his attention to the two Hales for a moment. "When's the last time you saw your sister?