Chapter 19: Rivalry Revisited (Part 2)

Începe de la început

And then Cassie was close enough to hear them. When she lifted her head, she made eye contact with Chris first. Her smile was subtle, yet her delight practically sparkled in the sunshine.

Before Chris had the chance to greet her, he heard his name called. Scott was waving him over to the edge of the field.

"Keep an eye on her," Chris warned in his brother's ear, and all he could give Cassie was a quick wave as he passed.

Chris joined his father, and Kimo and Kale came over. The conversation initiated by Scott was brief. Kimo nodded, Kale nodded, and before Chris could come up with a decent excuse to decline, he was following Kale to the center of what remained of the action.

Chris was supposed to be improving his swordsmanship with a more challenging partner than Joe had been. But after Chris blocked a few of Kale's aggressive maneuvers, Chris realized they were dueling. And now that the whole army had cleared off the field to watch, he really wanted to win.

"So, Kale, how long have you known?" Chris asked as he made his first counterattack, which Kale parried.

"A couple of years," Kale replied offhandedly as he lunged forward.

Chris dodged Kale's thrust and took a side swing at Kale as his balance recovered

Chris dodged Kale's thrust and took a side swing at Kale as his balance recovered. "And you didn't feel like telling the rest of us?"

Kale avoided Chris's swing by lifting into the air with wings Chris did not have.

Cheater.

When Kale landed in a fresh spot, they circled around each other, crossing one foot over the other as they decided how to proceed. "I was sworn to secrecy. My father never wanted his daughters involved in this life. And besides, it's not like you and I were ever on good terms."

"Still, it would have been nice," Chris said, tension mounting with every step. "Your sister might still be alive had we known we were fairies."

Kale unexpectedly lowered his sword and glanced to the clearing's edge. "Who's the girl?"

His chest puffed out as if he were somehow worthy of her.

"I don't think you're her type," Chris taunted.

"And what type is that? She's not into tall, dark, and handsome?"

"More like rude, cocky, dumb as hell. Want me to continue?"

Kale responded with his fiercest attack yet. Luckily, Chris was able to deflect Kale's sword to the side. With their glares locked and blades crossed, they pushed against each other until they were both shaking.

"You know what?" Chris asked in a low, caustic tone. "On second thought, you should totally go for her. And I'll laugh my ass off when she brushes you off like a bug on her shoulder."

In response to that, Kale jerked his shoulder, breaking their impasse and knocking Chris back a few steps.

"I think I'm too late anyway," Kale said as he launched another attack. "It looks like she's into you."