Chapter 3- The Masquerade

Start from the beginning

His grandad always wanted him to settle down and find a woman that was his match in every way. It was a difficult accomplishment when he kept meeting the wrong ones. All they were interested in was his money and status–spoiled brats that used him for exposure.

He had yet to meet a real woman...

He appreciated a lady with high standards and higher morals.  A attractive woman was one who had a independent streak that didn't need him for everything. Someone who didn't try hard to catch his attention like all the others he's been around. He wanted someone who he fell in love with the man on the inside and not the man on the outside who was incredibly wealthy. 

Being one of the most sought after eligible bachelors in California made it even harder. His face was plastered on several magazines covers and all over the news. Women throw themselves at him left and right. Who was out for his money and who wanted him for himself?

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free..." It was a saying one of his close friends, a SEAL like himself always said. It made Stefan chuckle lightly.  It was not something he practiced like most typical men did. 

Secretly he hated all the attention. He was no Casanova. Wooing women with his good looks and smooth talking his way into their beds was not the way he operated. His grandad always taught him to be as professional as possible and never mix business with pleasure. Hell, he never had anytime for anything other than running the businesses he inherited. But nonetheless he tried to make time with the opposite sex but anytime he tried he immediately regrets it.

For the last eight months, Stefan had been busy learning the ropes of his inherited billion dollar oil company.  As it was written in his will, Stefan senior left all his assets to Stefan–the money, the homes, the companies—everything.  Since then he had no time for a real life automatically putting that on hold. 

Stefan's phone dings. 

He pulls it out if his back pocket and checks his messages.  It was a reminder for the 50th annual charity auction he was invited to.

The auction was a special event his grandfather attended for nearly thirty years. As stated in his will, Stefan was expected to attend in his place and continue the tradition. Stefan senior left large sums of money to be donated in his name for the next fifty years to honor the long custom and Stefan was required to make an appearance and be part of the legacy.

And he needed a date for the evening. 

Who could he possibly ask on such short notice? Certainly not any of the women he just erased off his answering machine.

Who did he know was mature enough, classy, elegant and available?

Selena, his mind whispered.

The human resource director of his companies.

In her mid twenties, extremely beautiful, smart and ambitious.  She was the one that stood by and helped him during the time his grandfather passed. She kept him grounded. Always checking up on him much like a friend. They had been working together for a few months, teaching him how things were ran and in that short time they became close.

Would she agree? 

He felt like an ass for the last minute call.