Floyd and I both chuckle, something that Drew always makes us do. He's the go to guy when you're feeling down. 

Floyd removes his arm from me and stands in front of me, "Congratulations on coming 1st." He says with a true smile. "I'm sorry that your parents didn't come."

I smile back, I don't care anymore that my parents aren't here. Floyd and Drew are more of a family then they ever will be. "It's fine, it's not like they haven't ditched before." I really don't get why I keep getting my hopes up when they never come anyway. 

As if sensing the mood change Drew yells, "Puppy!" Before taking off towards an owner and her dog.

The girl must only be around 7 or 9, her face half scared to death as Drew plays with the dog. Floyd and I laugh, this isn't anything new. I just feel sorry for the girl.

"First goes to, Reign Carter!" My name is called over a microphone.

I smile and walk towards the stage to collect my medal. Floyd and a crazy Drew follow until we reach the stage. From there I walk up on my own and stand with the 1st behind my shoulder, painted on the wearing wall.

The coach walks up and shakes my hand, "Great work Carter." He says before placing the gold medal around my neck. He steps back and I smile as brightly as I can while many take photographs. I look to my side to find an unfamiliar boy in 3rd place and no one in 2nd place. 

So that's who threw up, Tex. I laugh quietly to myself and look down at my friends who are too laughing as though they realized the same thing. 

~@~

I close the door behind us. My parents aren't home so we have the whole house to ourselves. 

“What do we do while we wait for the party?” Floyd asks looking around.

Drew jumps up like he’s had the best idea ever. “We could go for a swim!”

Floyd and I stare wide mouthed at him, “You do realise it’s winter right?” I ask him.

He nods. “That means it’s freezing.” I say softly, like I’m talking to a baby.

He pouts and crosses his arms. “Fine.”

Floyd rolls his eyes and turns towards me. “We could eat something for starters. I’m starving.”

I shrug, “Sounds good to me. Drew? Are you hungry?”

He glares at me then nods happily. “I want a hot dog.”

“Okay, I’ll make you a hot dog.”

“Woo!” He yells.

“I mean, how hard can it be?”

~@~

“YOU’RE BURNING IT!” Drew yells and runs over to the stove.

“How am I burning it?” I groan, “It’s just water.”

“I don’t know how you did it but you did, it’s all yuck.”

I throw my hands in the air and pick up the phone, I give up. “What are you doing?” Floyd asks as I punch the numbers in.

“I’m ordering pizza.”

He shrugs and takes a seat. “That works for me.”

“Hello, pizza palace, Rule speaking.” A boy on the other end says, “How may I help you?”

“Yeah hi, I’d like -”

~@~

“It’ll be here soon.” I tell an annoying Drew as he jumps around.