nurture : chapter twenty-six

one more chapter! 20+ comments pls

-

Luke was still mad at Reece, ten days later.

Reece had given him in resignation at the day care, and at the centre where he did the parent-child lessons. He was still leaving.

All the kids were sad at the day care, and Luke was left in charge as they looked for a replacement. Luke was fine with the kids, he may not have been as qualified as he should be but he's good enough.

It was playtime for the kids and Luke was sitting at his small deal with a cup of coffee as he watched the kids run around and play.

He missed Reece.

Luke had tried to call him and try and persuade him to change his mind and stay in Sydney but he wouldn't answer and every time he went over to the house, he wasn't there, no car was in the drive way.

He'd even called Reece's sister up, who he'd met once and she had said he was busy doing stuff for the new house in Adelaide.

One of the little girls, the one who was crushing on Luke, Sophie, walked up to Luke, tugging at his sleeve. "Luke." She started and Luke smiled down at her.

"What's up honey?" He asked softly, letting her sit on his lap.

"Where's Reece?" She asked, "my friend, Georgia, misses him, we all do."

Luke sighed, "he doesn't work here anymore, he got another job."

Sophie frowned, "he's leaving us?" She teared up making Luke sigh and wipe away her tears. "But Lukey--"

"We can't change his mind and believe me I've tried." Luke frowned and she wrapped her arms around his neck and cried. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

"It's not your fault Lukey." She said, pulling away and kissing Luke's cheek. "You'll be our new Reece won't you?"

Luke chuckled, "I'll try and be even better."

After day care had finished, Luke went to the cresh and picked up his son. Cory looked happy to see Luke which made his day. "Hey baby boy." Luke cooed, picking up his son and kissing his head. He wiped an eyelash off Cory's cheek smiling, "let's hope your day was more exciting than mine."

They went home, seeing Michaels car outside the building, and then Calum and him being on the sofa with popcorn and chocolate and beer.

Luke put Cory in his bouncer before taking off his blazer and slumping down on the sofa in between his best friends. "How was your day?" Michael asked.

"Fine, I had a kid cry to me because Reece left." He sighed, stuffing some popcorn in his mouth, before opening up a beer. "I hate him." He mumbled.

"No you don't." Calum said, "after what you told us, it seems he thought you'd be all for going with him, he was just upset you didn't want to."

"I couldn't just leave." Luke said, "I can't leave my best friends and my parents. I didn't want to take Cory so far from everyone he's comfortable with."

"I think you should've gone with him." Michael said making Luke look at him, "you told him you loved him, he had faith in you that you'd go with him. Can't blame him, I'd be pretty upset too."

Luke pouted, looking at Calum, "what do you think?"

"You're in love with him?"

"Of course."

"Then go."

Luke looked at them both before standing, "look after Cory I'll be back soon."

"Make sure you stay the night and fuck him!" Michael yelled as Luke left the apartment with his car keys in hand.