M.A.G.N.E.T. LABS

It was the beginning of another day. I woke up that morning feeling very tired and lazy, didn't feel like going to school. My mom forced me to go to school since I was just out of a long holiday. After carrying out the usual boring monotonous activities, I headed for school. On the way I was lucky enough to find my school friends hence company. At least that made the walk to school pretty interesting. Stories to tell and 

The day at school was very boring since most of my buddies whom I spend most of my time with had decided not come to school. Classes had still not resumes as the administration was giving the new juniors time to settle as they dealt with more admissions. Great Heights Highschool was a very prestigious school so admission season was always very busy. Time seemed to be moving very slowly, it was as if the seconds were getting married to the minutes. They behaved just like the bride does while walking towards the podium. Those were some of the times that made me wish that I was a time walker kind of man. I could do nothing but have patience which was scarce in my cells.  Maybe I should get a patience transfusion, if it exists.  

Finally the bell for home rang which also acted as a button for the activation of my happiness. I walked home with a broad smile since I had gotten the opportunity to do as I planned. As I was taking my steps in haste I saw George across the road. Like a mad person I shouted out his name at the top my voice. I have no idea why I did that, it wasn't a very busy road. There was a group of women walking by and they started at me in shock. I felt embarrassed. 

I waved at George waiting for him to cross over. "Hey there, how you doing?" he asked me as he panted like a dog. "I'm fine, how about you? Where are you headed to in such a hurry?" 

"Nowhere special, just my usual workplace; M.A.G.N.E.T. LABS," he answered with a smile. "Lucky you. You have such an amazing lab where you can access all kinds of equipment and coming up with new stuff. I wish I had that opportunity," I answered him with a sigh. "Hey do want to see how M.A.G.N.E.T. LABS looks like? I can take you to my lair." 

When he said that, everything in my body switched off as if I was hypnotized. At once I went with him. I didn't have to give my decision a second thought. It wasn't very far from where we were so we reached there pretty soon. Behold the marvelous architecture. The overall theme was sky blue with touches of white and black. The design was outstanding. I gasped at its beauty as we approached from a distance. George could see my amazement and he gave a little smirk as if to say, "Cute". 

The whole building seemed to emerge from the ground that carved itself into a Dodecahedron. From it's side edges emerged two stretches of what I presumed were hallways like an eagle's wings still tracing that pentagon shape as they rested back onto the ground with a slight final elevation. Those curves were serene. The color was a perfect compliment to the architecture. In the bright evening sun, everything sparkled like a marble. As we got closer I realized that the back side also had a pentagon stretch but this time it was like a pipeline, just one continuous curve which wasn't circular that at the end its face lay fixed to the ground. Every visible edge was given a black outline and any labels were in white. On the front face was the name in bold and huge Serif characters, M.A.G.N.E.T. LABS. My pupils had dilated long back to the view that stood before me. 

The interior was grand. A huge hall that had quite a number of what I can call, workstations. There were so many scientists around. Walking around, dialing on screens, looking at hologram displays, discussing stuff amongst themselves and what not. They were too busy to even notice that a new guy was in the premises. A few walked past us and they greeted George and waved at me. At least they were kind enough to greet me. George told me that this was where the Junior Scientists worked. There was an exclusive area underground where only senior scientists and their assistants were allowed. If the juniors needed anything from the seniors then they would have to ring them from their desks. The desks had two buttons, green and red. Green to show that they needed them and red if it was urgent. Juniors were not allowed beyond that shared workspace they had.

"So, Max it is time I took you to my side of the lab. Remember the pipeline thingy that stretched from the back? That is actually a pipeline that leads underground." I was amazed by that. He took my through a door into a brightly lit empty room that had another door on the other end. He used his card and biometrics to open that door just like the way he did with the other one.

That door led us into an elevator kind of thing but the walls were transparent. Same procedure, key card and biometrics to activate the shuttle. We moved very fast like a bullet train. I could see rays of lights as we raced across the pipeline and down to the spot. The experience was like none other. George told me that the so called shuttle worked on the principle of magnetic levitation. 

The stop was quite smooth. I did not even notice that we had reached until the door whistled open. My eyes had never encountered such a beautiful scenery before. The hall was like the one above just much more lit up and grand in every way. It was way more advanced that the hall on the ground. There, I could only spot few people. According to George there were only seven people allowed there and Prof. Shawn. Every scientist had their own room that they called their lairs. Every lair had a number displayed above it by a hologram in tech blue. 

George then took me into his layer, number 0014136. He told me that the number of monitors depended on the size of the layer and every layer had two hologram displays. I was very much amazed beyond my wits after seeing all that. I wished that I also had my own lair in that lab. Sadly I couldn't. But still, life had to go on.

Ow, did I forget to tell you the full meaning of M.A.G.N.E.T. LABS. It is actually an acronym for Mechanical Advancements Greatly Nourishing Earth's Technology.  It had become my dream to have a lair in that lab though it was impossible. The kind of qualifications needed to work at M.A.G.N.E.T LABS was demanding and before you could be a senior you had to work your ass of or have to be an extraordinary genius. 

Back to the experts now, some of them were specialized in: Bio-chemistry, Physics, Laser science etc. That was the best day of my life. How I wished I could show all that to Janet; no one was allowed to take pics. In fact no one was allowed to enter the underground layers apart from the staff but for some reason I was let in. Astonishing, right?