Chapter 28

HOLY S**T guys it's been since JULY 2016 SINCE I UPDATED??? My lord. I'm the worst. I hope you all don't hate me.
I guess for me, and a lot of us creators in the Doctor Who fandom, it's been hard to have motivation to write since there hasn't really been any new episodes besides the Christmas one to inspire us. And as for myself, I've hardly watched Doctor Who at all in months besides the Christmas special because it's not on Netflix anymore.
But anyway, I'm so so sorry about the long hiatus. I'm going to try to be better about being consistent with my writing in this new year.

✨SUGGESTION✨: go back and read the last few chapters so you can remember what the heck is going on before you read this chapter. It's what I had to do to continue writing it.

Anyway, those who still wish to stick with this story: I adore you and hope you'll forgive me for not updating in forever. ❤

Hope you enjoy :)

~ ~ ~

"Oh my—" Rose gasped, her hand flying to her mouth in shock. "All this from...?"

"Among other things, yes," the Doctor confirmed. He still hadn't told her about what he saw directly before the crack appeared: The Bad Wolf counting down with the four claps of thunder until the sky was torn open. And he told her very little about the past day. It seemed she didn't remember anything from before they were separated so long ago; not Torchwood, not Missy's plot, not the anti-paradox machine, not even Donna Noble. The Doctor resolved--for the time being-- that it was the paradoxical chaos of it all — not just the thing in the sky, but a future regeneration of the Master finding a present regeneration of the Doctor himself, and the fact that they all were in this alternate universe in the first place.

And of course the fact that the Doctor had been brought back to life and Donna Noble was dead.

London was unusually bright, as though the sun had been stretched in a shaky line across the sky and then widened, and its brightness multiplied by ten times. The blinding light, of course, came from the crack. It was embedded into the sky an immobile cloud, or like a scratch in a car window that doesn't seem to shift even as all else beyond it whirs past.

The people of London however were both immobile and frantic: some had stopped in their tracks to gape in confusion at the sky, others began walking quickly away, instinct pulling them toward the hope of consolation from other human beings, or they were pulled toward anywhere out of sight of the crack to feel some notion of safety.

"Doctor." Rose said quietly, barely above a whisper.

He locked eyes with her, scanning for what she was thinking. "What is it?

"I can see my mum. And Pete and Mickey."

His eyebrows raised. "That's right. Isn't that a good thing?" For once, he couldn't read her face.

"Of course! Just...brings up bad memories from how I left things." Rose recalled the events leading to her first escape from this forsaken universe and reuniting with the Doctor--just as she was saying a final "I love you" to her family, she was cut off as she was shot toward the other universe. The irony of it was what really killed her.

The Doctor nodded. "I understand."

A shock went through Rose when she felt the Doctor touch her hand. It had been so long since their hands had joined. Rose felt a surge of comforting warmth spark through her at once, but at the same time, she wondered why it felt so foreign and perplexing to hold his hand again.

He gazed at her, asking if it was okay. She smiled, telling him it was.

"Where's...?"

"Missy?" the Doctor filled in. "Not sure. I say we just leave her to go about her business. She can't get into too much trouble."