Five - Cold and distant

I've been smiling all day after my conversation with Angelina. Heck, I even kept my smile till the following day.

I didn't care how short our conversation was but for probably the first time ever, it made me look forward to the next day. Just to talk to Angelina.

I made my way to the café, inhaling the smell of coffee as I stepped inside.

Lilly waved at me "Morning Erik!"

"Morning Lilly" I greeted as I made my way to her at the counter.

"Wait, did you cut your hair?" I asked spinning her around to take a better look.

"Yes! What do you think?" She asked grinning.

"It's actually really pretty. I'll miss your long blonde ponytail though." I said fake-pouting.

"Well it was time for some change and at least you noticed, Mark didn't." She said offering me a doughnut.

"You should dump him, I never liked him" I said, mouth half full because of the delicious doughnut.

God, I loved doughnuts.

"Yeah we'll see about that. And you're paying for this." She said teasingly pointing to the doughnut.

I flipped the finger at her face and she laughed as I made my way to my table.

I had some revision to do today because school was starting in a week and I had to get back on track with studying.

School.

Which means, I won't be able to see Angelina every morning.

I sighed as I turned on my computer, planning to finish my work as soon as possible to spend some time with Angelina, hopefully.

A few minutes later, Angelina came dragging herself in. She was a mess.

Literally, a mess.

She was wearing an oversized military jacket paired with a pair of black washed up jeans and combat boots. It was an odd combination for Angelina. She usually went for a basic cute outfit

But her outfit wasn't my main concern, it was her face.

Her eyes were very puffy and dark without any trace of makeup, except for perhaps some smudged up mascara.

Instinctively, I rushed to her.

"Angelina, are you okay?" I asked concerned.

She looked at me for a moment before answering "Yeah I'm fine, I just need some time alone." Then she walked past me to her table. She got out her notepad and some textbooks and started studying too.

Dispirited I dawdled back to my seat.

She didn't seem okay and I was very worried.

But mostly, I was annoyed at her for not wanting to speak to me.

I decided to concentrate on my work and yeah, you guessed right, I couldn't really manage to.

Every now and then, I'd steal a quick look at her.

Something was odd today.

She got the same order she had yesterday; caramel macchiato.

She wasn't scanning the room as usual looking for someone to write about.

She hadn't even touched her notepad, it was just resting there on the table surrounded by pens and textbooks and sticky notes.

She was cold and distant, just like I'd guessed she'd be.

Only god knows what might have happened to that bubbly, talkative Angelina from yesterday.

The Angelina who I thought I had figured out.

The Angelina who managed to put a smile on my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I apologize for the very short chapter and I couldn't update earlier because I was out doing some last minute shopping because tomorrow is Eid💃🏻💃🏻
So excited!!
Eid mubarak❤️