Chapter 29

"Why did you make us the new owners?" I asked under my breath. The cast and crew were applauding the two of us after Monsieur Lefevre introduced us.

"Why not?" The Doctor shrugged and gave the crowd a gallant bow. Deciding to just go along with it, I bent in a quick curtsy and smiled politely.

"Monsieur, Mademoiselle, I'd like to introduce you to our leading soprano, Signora Carlotta Giudicelli." Monsieur Lefevre gestured to a heavy red headed woman decked in a green, red, and gold ball gown. A golden tiara was placed artfully into her beautifully styled flaming red hair. Her red painted lips pulled into a smug smirk as her charcoal rimmed green eyes trailed over me in a sort of disgust. Yeesh, what did I ever do to you lady? The Doctor noticed her sizing me up and was completely baffled when she held out a pudgy hand for him.

The Doctor glanced at it uncertainly before quickly pressing a half assed peck to her hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you Signora." He assured her quickly dropping her hand.

An even heavier man dressed in the same colored garments stepped up to Carlotta's side. "And Ublado Piangi, our leading male." Monsieur Lefevre introduced. Piangi nodded at us as a greeting before stepping away to get his makeup retouched.

The Doctor and I shared an equally disgusted glance. These people were rude and obviously full of themselves.

"And of course our new patron, the Vitcomte de Changy." A young man with shoulder length light brown hair and sparkling blue eyes came up to us.

"A pleasure to meet you Monsieur Doctor and Mademoiselle Claire." He shook hands with the Doctor and brought my hand to his lips in a sweet kiss. I felt the Doctor stir uncomfortably next to me. I quickly dropped my hand from the Vitcomte's and placed it in the Doctor's. I squeezed his hand in reassurance and immediately he relaxed. "My parents and I are deeply honored to support all of the arts, especially the world-renowned Opera Populaire. I'll be there tonight to share in your great triumph. If you'll excuse me, I have business to attend to." He then parted through the crowd and disappeared out the door.

"Perhaps the signora could make it a personal favor to oblige us with a private rendition. Unless, of course, if Monsieur Reyer objects?" Lefevre asked the mousy conductor.

"Of course!" Reyer spluttered quickly flipping through sheets of music.

"If my manager commands. Monsieur Reyer?" Carlotta asked.

"If my diva commands?"

"Yes, I do! Everybody very quiet!" she then began clearing her throat with strange vocal exercises.

"Monsieur, why exactly are you retiring?" The Doctor asked Lefevre.

"My health." He responded with a wince. I honestly couldn't blame him for not wanting to work with that awful woman.

The Doctor stared back at him knowingly. "I see."

"You as well!" Carlotta barked.

The Doctor quickly shut his mouth afraid the diva would snap at him again.

I had to fight the urge to cover my ears once she began singing or in other terms wailing.

"Think of me, think of me fondly when we've said gOOOOoooooOOdbyeeeee. Remember me once in a while please promise me yOOoooooOOOooou'll try. Then you'll find that once again you long to tAAAaaaake your heart ba-" She was thankfully cut off when a large banister fell from the catwalk. A shrill strangled cry rang throughout the room as the lights of the chandelier began flickering sporadically.