Chapter 18

After a couple minutes of flying we were back at the Pond's anniversary party. Everything was exactly the way we left it; no one suspected a thing, well except one.

The Doctor and I stood off to the side as everyone raised their glasses in the air after a toast was given to the happy couple. The Doctor put his arms up in the air and did a weird sort of dance causing me to giggle lightly. I noticed Brian staring at us from across the room, once everyone had gone back to their own activities he approached the Doctor and I.

"How long were they gone?" He asked suspiciously.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Brian." The Doctor answered casually.

"They are wearing totally different clothes from earlier."

The Doctor glanced from me to Brian. I shrugged pretending I had no idea what was going on.

"Seven weeks." The Doctor answered. "I got side tracked. A lot."

I rolled my eyes at him earning a playful nudge from the man beside me.

"What happened to the other people who traveled with you?" Brian asked suddenly.

The Doctor sighed heavily a pained expression crossing his features. "Some left me. Some got left behind. And some, not many, but, some died." The Doctor paused and looked down at his feet. "Not them. Not them, Brian. Never them."

The three of us glanced at the happy couple talking and laughing with a group of friends. Brian sighed heavily before leaving us to talk to one of the guests.

I felt the Doctor wrap his arm around my shoulders. I tilted my head up to look at him. A sad smile graced his lips as he stared down at me. He brought his head down close to mine and pressed his lips to my cheek. "And never, ever, you. You are under my protection." He whispered his warm breath tickling at my ear.

My heart picked up its pace and my cheeks blushed heavily from embarrassment. I was at a loss for words. I didn't know what to say in return, all I could do was nod.

The Doctor pulled away suddenly, breaking our close proximity. A feeling of loss came over me once he pulled away, I wanted to wrap myself back up in his arms and never leave. I shook the thought out of my head, praying that he didn't notice my sudden embarrassment.

"I'm going to ask Amy if we can stay with them, care to join me?" He asked awkwardly.

"No it's ok, I'll stay here." I answered waving him off. A look of slight disappointment crossed his features, but he shook it off quickly. He told me he would be right back, before leaving in search of Amy.

With a heavy sigh I glanced at the people around me. Everyone knew each other and were lost in deep conversations, the occasional laugh could be heard here and there. I took a sip of my Shirley temple trying to avoid making eye contact with anyone that passed by me. I felt extremely out of place and I wanted nothing more than to get out of the crowd. I should've gone with the Doctor. I thought to myself.

My phone started vibrating in the back pocket of my jeans. Quickly, I pulled it out, relieved that I had an escape.

"Hello?" I answered as I stepped out into the back garden where it was quieter.

"Hey girl!" Maia practically screamed into the phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear wincing as my ears began ringing.

"Ouch, can you not scream in my ear?" I groaned.

"Sorry. So how's outer space going with your hot alien boyfriend?" She asked.

I took a seat on a garden bench not too far away from where Amy and the Doctor were chatting. "Ok, how many times do I have to tell you he's not my boyfriend?"