Chapter 6

Read A/N at the end!

The whole ride was silent. I couldn't pick up the courage to bring up the previous topic, nor did I have the will to fight with my best friend. The situation we were in was more than complicated and from this point of view, there was no way out of it. I knew Zach didn't want a mate, not now at least. If he was to agree to give it a try, but he just wouldn't...

His black car came to the sudden halt, breaking me free from my thoughts which were swirling around like a smoke in some dim and dark room. I told myself I had to do something because I seriously have no idea how should I act now. Does he want me to forget everything, like nothing had happened? Or does he want me to stay away from him, making everyone look upon us with their suspicious eyes? Everybody knows us. And they know damn well that we're never, and I mean never, separated for the whole day in school. We're like a finger and a nail. They will know something is up. Especially if the rumor about the two of us spread around.

''Zach,'' I stopped him before he could leave me alone once again.

''What?'' His voice came out as harsh and I did not like it a bit.

Maybe I should let him be?

''Nothing.'' I open the car door as quickly as possible, ''I'll see you later.'' 

In the matter of a few seconds, I was out of the car and heading to the front school door. Everyone set their eyes on me, like they'd always do, but this time, it made me extremely uncomfortable. It was like they could see through me; feel what I feel, see what I see. The truth was, they were only looking at me that way because they knew what had happened at my birthday party. Actually, they knew what some people had seen. No one knows the real story.

Prior to reaching my locker, I was bombarded with dozens of questions, all of them coming from my two dear friends.

''Why didn't you answer your phone?! Do you know how many times I had called you?'' 

''I expected a call after what happened!''

''Why didn't you tell us the two of you hooked up? We've been waiting for that to happen for so long now!''

''Guys... guys!'' I cut them off before they could jump to any other conclusion, ''Nothing happened, alright?''

They looked deadpan, in the way they didn't actually believe what I just told them, ''You're lying and we're not buying it.''Said Brooklyn for both.

''I'm not lying!'' I almost yell, ''Look, we went upstair so we could have a talk and that's it! I don't know why people assume something happened between us and I especially don't get it why do people think we're more than just friends. That's what we are and that's what we'll ever be!'' 

By the end of my short speech, I've come to realize everyone was staring at me. It felt more uncomfortable than earlier when I'd entered school and the difference was that Zach was among those people as well. Shit. 

I knew most of the people here didn't quite get what the word was about, but Zach being a werewolf was able to hear verbatim everything I had said.

My eyes were only set on my best friend, as he made his way out of this crowded place. I didn't know how he felt after this and I needed to find out. Instead of staying there and listening to people's murmuring, I went after him, just to find him entering one of the classrooms.

It was empty.

His head immediately moved to the side, as he examined my every move. I closed the door behind me, being sure no one has seen me in here. Surprisingly, when my eyes met his, they didn't flash emotions I'd expected him to show. They were rather relieved and kind of... satisfied.